Aquaculture sea fans

gerald

Basically as it grows, you can divide it by cutting bits off, and attach the new bit to a rock & let it grow. They can be very slow growing though.

Some sea fans are easy and some are hard, do you know what kind you have? And how long have you had it?

Buy sea fans i presume you mean gorgonian sp, apposed to seapens and feather stars. Like wasp said just cut a length off, If you are mounting in epoxy (what i do) with a knfie peel back a length of about 5mm of the skin (the same as striping electrical wire) the stick on the inside will be exposed and push this into the epoxy.

:D

Sea fans generally have an axial rod, which is a flexible skeleton running through the middle, which is covered by the tissue.

Like Ben and wasp said you cut a bit off, then strip of some of the lower flesh, like stripping insulation from a wire. The axial rod is easier to glue and holds better than just gluing the flesh.

I prefer super-glue instead of epoxy for mounting stuff. Especially SPS, because the epoxy often contains significant amounts of phosphorus which can leach into the skeleton and literally kill them from the inside out.

Ever notice when a bit of epoxy falls off a piece of rock you find where the epoxy has been is a bright green colour? That's the phosphate literally wicking into the rock and supporting algae growth. Same thing happens into coral skeletons and can stunt their growth, and in the extreme kill them from the inside out.

Also sea fans is a very broad category. Some are photosynthetic, and easy to grow, others are non-photosynthetic, and usually slowly die over time.

Layton

Most brands seem to be more or less the same stuff. Phosphorus compound are common in many polymers and plastic products, either as plasticisers or mould release agents.

Cyanoacrylate based superglue is my preferred glue. Especially when glueing directly onto coral skeletons.

Here are some pics of the results of this phosphorous "wicking":

phosphatewick.jpg

phosphatewick1.jpg

phosphatewick2.jpg

Reason I ask what brand is because I use knead it aqua, which is waterproof, and have not had such a problem. But it does make sense it could happen, just wanted to check which brand.

The pics you show, is that what is sometimes referred to as green boring algae?

Most brands seem to be more or less the same stuff. Phosphorus compound are common in many polymers and plastic products, either as plasticisers or mould release agents.

Cyanoacrylate based superglue is my preferred glue. Especially when glueing directly onto coral skeletons.

Here are some pics of the results of this phosphorous "wicking":

phosphatewick.jpg

phosphatewick1.jpg

phosphatewick2.jpg

Can i ask why an epoxy product would contain a mould release agent?