Siamese Fighting Fish

Andrew_W

Sorry not sure if this is the right section but...

I just got home and all the lights where off, but the aquariums light was on, turning the glass of the tank into the mirror, and my male fighting fish was going psycho at its reflaction...is this bad for the fish?

Differing opinions on the fish flaring a lot. My males do it most of the time at each other, some say it stresses them, others that it is good as it increases and strengthens their fins. I haven't noticed any ill effects from it. Some people suggest that if you have a male fighter alone it is good to show the fish a mirror every so often.

Andrew, yes they do fight and often will kill particularly if one can't get away and hide. I know of one peson lately who lost both their males when they managed to get in together. At the least they will end up very very badly beaten. I myself have had quite young males attack and kill another young male. Once again it probably depends on the personality and genes of the fish but its not worth risking it.