Sand in tank. Pros and Cons?

Milet

I'm looking at collecting sand from the local beach to use in my 250L tank that im about to set up.

Since its gonna cost a bit to buy that much substrate im going the cheap way.

Just a few things i need to know:

Will it clog up my filter? Its an Internal one at the moment but i think im going to buy an external off the neighbour.

I found out that sand is best for my suranimensis but i also read somewhere that some sand can damage there gills.

i think thats it...

And any advice on collecting it from the bwach and cleaning it etc would be great. thnks!

Sand does not absorb salt it just has it mixed in with the water. A good rinse will get rid of it. Collect the sand from as high above high tide as you can to get less shell in it. Shell will raise the pH. Of course, if you want a high pH, then add shell :wink:

Make sure it is smooth sand as rougher sand can damage fish's mouths as they burrow in it.

The main thing with sand is making sure it doesnt compact too much and go anerobic but with Geos you shouldnt have too much of a problem with that as theyll turn it over for ya :lol:

If the sand does get into your filters it most likely will get your impellors so get the inlet as high up as you can, especially if your fish will be fluffing around in it.

I got my sand from benchmark, 5 bucks for a 20kg bag and it works a treat, its quite fine though.

You will want a heavier type sand, definately beach or river sand.. of the heavier grade, the dark grey stuff is what I am using. I keep Geos.... Jurus, Suri and Steinys and they are great sifters.. if you end up getting a very light sand, with the amount of sifting Geos do when they get larger, it will end up flying up around the place and would end up flying up all over the place. And yeah it would pay to have your intakes up a bit higher, like we have, or it will end up flying up the intake with the Eartheaters, doing their thing ;) :lol: