Geophagus Question

Milet

Am about to start setting up my 250L tank and transferring fish into it in a week or so.

My geophagus suranimensis is in a 150L tank at the moment and he likes to pick up the stones and spit them out (all day and all night long), but my new tank has a kind of coarse sand in it, will he still sift through the sand? Or should i stick to stones?

Definately as Ktttk said, Geos love sand, infact sand is better for them as substrate :D I am just setting up our 760 litre tank with river sand, for my Jurupari and Suri, and wussy pair of Jack Dempseys :lol: Awesome to see someone else that keeps Geos :D

They would probably much prefer the light coloured very soft fine sand that you can get, yet I do know of people that have kept kuhlis and loaches with riversand as substrate.

One of the reasons why sand is much better for earth sifting Geos is the fact it is not harsh on the insides of their mouths and gill plates... Sometimes Geos can also get larger substrate ie stones etc caught, and it's not good.

That would be real cool ay. Im just gonna start with my 4footer in the mean time tho.

Its still just a plan but i think im going to take the Two angels, two severums, plecos and eartheater and put them in the amazon biotope and see how it looks

Will a Geo atack or eat anything smaller than it? Or is it mainly eating stuff off the substrate?

Becuase i was going to put mine in with my grow out tank to clear out all the sand, but theres small fish like kuhli loaches, tetras baby BN, baby Guppies and more.\

????

What sort of Geo do you have?

I keep Juru, Steinys and Suris, all very mallow, even have them in with Corydoras.. and they get on with their own thing sifting substrate, not bothered by anything. At breeding time Geos can get a bit stroppy, but even then they don't do anything major.. YET it does depend on what species you keep.

Brasiliensis can cut up quite stroppy.

IMO and going by experience of keeping the above.

Hmmmm :-? Baby bristles maybe not a good thing... and large tetras are fine ie Columbians etc but I wouldn't risk neons etc or anything small like that.

The other thing is, the Kuhli share the substrate just as much as Suris do, but hide in it instead :lol: Wouldn't want the Suri thinking he was in worm central :o

Suri's are not overly aggressive in nature, but I can't say that I would totally disregard the idea that they won't go for anything I would class as "pretty small"