The Most Exciting Catfish I have Ever Kept!

CatBrat

Banjosandcopy.jpg

lol, Well I think they are cool anyway! Over the past few weeks I have been picking up a few Banjo's. My group is up to 6 now! I'm going to set them up is a biotope tank soon, to see if I can get them too breed for me (Just trying a new challenge :lol: :roll:), Im sure it will be a great tank to watch!!! :D Im pretty sure that I have 2 different species too (5x Bunocephalus coracoideus and 1x Bunocephalus amazonicus-

thats the red one). Any way heres some pics...

banjogroup1copy.jpg

banjowhat2copy.jpg

Banjowhat-1copy.jpg

Anyway, anyone else out there keeping these?

Cheers, Jake.

BTW, thats the normal view of them in the top photo!

yeah go the banjo!

i have one large adult and one smaller one, the big one comes out at feed time and also at lights out, however the smaller one i dont see at all, lucky to see it twice a year :o must come out in the middle of the night and scavenge around for a bit of leftovers? what do yours eat jake? my one just sits there until a bloodworm floats past to inhale.

Yup mine have been doing the same thing most of the time, just sitting and inhaling. My big girl was out the other night though, and hunting around for food! They are feeding pretty well on choped earth worms, blood worms, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and the occasional flake.

Any one else out there got them?

Spawning occurs at night. Several batches of eggs are serially deposited in an egg-scattering fashion and should be removed to a secure net or container. These hatch within 3 days. Another report suggests that over 4000-5000 eggs are laid in several spawnings of a night and that the fish spawn in groups, although the ratio of males to females required is not clear. The fry should be fed small live foods, and then as they grow tubifex worms and eventually catfish tablets. - From Planet Catfish.

It looks like your going to be able to supply us all soon if your successful,

which I expect you will be.

All the best and congrats on finding the stock as this is always the hardest thing.

You know of anyone with some adult Cory's available? Mainly after Aeneus- bronze, albino, peppered, sterbia....

Rob @Aquagold

Just lucky I guess mate! Jansen's Mt Eden have had theirs for ages so i got my 2 biggest off them, the other 4 I got through my work (Jansen's Henderson), but they arent that big yet, probably around 6cm, and one about 8cm.

Yea I really like the red guy aye! According to one of the guys on PC I have 2 Bunocephalus amazonicus, numbers (3) and (4). So I betta set up a couple of tanks then!