Infestation tiny creatures in gravel

Lani

Since lighting my tank today I can see lots of tiny creatures busy in the gravel - I assume they came in with a new plant, or maybe in "Liquifry". Are these just part of a good cycled tank setup? Any help? I have WCMM in tank but I think the creatures are a little big/quick to be eaten.

Thanks michael.qian and Caryl - I am sure they are not worms, best description I have are miniature sand lice. I do a weekly 50% water change and gravel siphon. Local fs suggested more often siphon, but less water, change until I get rid of them and to ensure no food drops to the bottom. I am just trying to avoid moving the fish and completely washing the gravel and starting afresh.

My tank is a tall glass bowl about 10-12 litres water, with small filter and now a daylight bulb.

I thought having fish is supposed to be restful? It can be quite stressful! :-?

Yet I do love my 5 WCMM.

Put a piece of raw meat on a string and leave over night on the tank bottom.

Carefully withdraw the meat on the string in the morning and dip it into a strong salt solution and see what reaction the "THINGS" have.

If they die, you could then remove the gravel and soaked in salt water, it should knock them right back.

Or just keep using the trap method.

Alan, that is interesting - having just done the clean/siphon/water change and capturing two from the water, I poured on ordinary table salt - immediate death, and I dont think the few small white worms didn't like it either. Some people say a few 'insects' in gravel is okay - whats your opinion?

Why kill them? I haven't seen any reason to assume that they're harmful. Some people like to have a little bit of biodiversity in their tanks instead of immediately going OMGOMGOMG! Something different! KILLITKILLITKILLIT!!!

• 4 weeks later...