Black Arowana

Gonzo

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any info on the above

I have tried various importers around NZ; Jansens, Wetpets, Redwoods, Aquarius, and few independant importers, one of which had got some within last 5 years but the fish where too small (egg yolk still attached), all died.

I don't want to support wild caught fish but surely someone somewhere must be breeding Blacks in captivity

Has anyone any further info.?

Please help

I don't want to support wild caught fish but surely someone somewhere must be breeding Blacks in captivity

no one breeds aros in NZ so they would have to be imported. haven't seen them in a while sorry. they grow up just looking like silvers anyway just with slightly darker silver if at all.

Aros are extremely hard to breed in captivity (need huge tanks and months of patience)... that said it's not impossible. Some guy did it in Asia. Once they started their courtship which lasts months he was feeding them only live goldfish too! :-?

Aros are extremely hard to breed in captivity (need huge tanks and months of patience)... that said it's not impossible. Some guy did it in Asia. Once they started their courtship which lasts months he was feeding them only live goldfish too! :-?

Asian aros are only breed for sale in captivity for over 20 years. there must be hundreds of aro breeding farms in Asia. its possible and very common

ASian aro's are bred in huge ponds, not tanks. There is a much higher demand for them which it makes it commertially viable, unlike breeding SA aro's.

Black aro's don't look that similar to silvers (well to me they dont, but I think all discus look the same.....), and IMO are a much nicer fish, grow a little slower/smaller than silvers and dont seem as prone to drop-eye. (well mine didnt get it after 2 years, possibly because he never got feeders?). You'll still need a big tank tho, 6'x3' footprint minimum IMO. Mine out-grew my 5'x2' in about two years!

I would love to keep another some day, but they are pretty hard to find, I've only seen them once at hollywood since I bought mine about 7 years ago.