Books

Fluffypants

As a newbee student at the Mahurangi Tech Institute, we were issued with a book,

Tropical Fish lopedia, by Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess, ISBN I 86054 102 X.

Sections on Fish Management, Aquarium Management, Fish in Health and Illness.

It is a soft backed book of 352 pages, and not yet having got into it,

I can't give a full run down on it, but from what I've seen of it so far,

it will be fairly close to the front of my book-shelves.

If you want inspiration for planted tanks look at the Nature Aquarium World series by Takashi Amano. There's only a small amount of good info on setting up a tank but the photographs of the tanks are very inspiring and there is some good advise on layout technique. I've used them for reference when designing layouts many time and to get motivation to remodel my tank.

I think book1 is the best followed by Aquarium Plant Paradise which may be book 4 but I expect it's a follow-on from the Nature Aquarium World series. It's the smallest book but has about the best information out of all of them.

Another great book for learning about fish disease is Discus Health by Dieter Untergasser (ISBN 0-86622-170-0). It's primarily about discus but details diseases most fish get. The most important part of the book however is how to diagnose and treat both common and uncommon diseases, - what to use and what dose rates etc + pictures of parasites etc. It's been invaluable for all the fish I keep, not just the discus...

Also check out the 'Articles' section of this website http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/ as there are many good articles, so even written by me!! 8)