Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anchor Worm!

Featured Replies

Total edit

OK so I had a whitespot breakout and against my gut instinct allowed myself to use rapid whitespot remedy (because the guys in the shop rang the importers of the noses who said I could use it at half strength) I did this because

The mystery white things are anchor worms, and the higher temp thing might speed up their lifecycle. One day after treating the tank, I have my small nose dying in a 30 liter hospital tank (fighting for it's life but I havn't much hope..it's little body is all blistered) The bigger nose is hanging in the main tank..he is ok..only just, a considerable amount of finnage is missing..but his body looks ok.

The plan was to treat the whitespot followed by treating for the anchor worms. But I find that the product they have convinced me to buy is no good even in half doses for noses.

Hours I have spent researching trying my darndest to do the right thing. On the phone, talking to people. No avail.

So looks like I need to get another hospital tank set up for the big nose and quarantine him. manually remove (somehow) any anchor worms that show up. And I need to thoroughly treat my tank while it is noseless.

I feel so bad for the poor things. And frustrated.

  • Author

First picture is about three weeks ago, I first noticed it, took a pic in case..but it went away.

AWhitething1.jpg

These pictures are this afternoon. They really are tiny. I dislodged one with a cotton bud and it drifted away without activity.

Left no mark that I could see. I did discover more on the body and near gills. Fish too small and mobile to closley incpect the gills..outward appearance OK.

These things on both sides..the rest not so ready to dislodge.

AWhitething3.jpg

AWhitething2.jpg

  • Author

Found the culprit ..it came in on the Big nose it seems. There is an 8mm long approx "mother" of a worm hidden under the gill on the big nose. The white spot treatment must of weakend it because it made a couple of awkward appearances before the fish worked it back to where it caused the least distress. I guess too it is getting too big to stay hidden in there.

Well I bought a AR380 to isolate the nose while I try figure the best way to treat it without killing it. I cant access the worm to remove it..and in any case there may be others. Currently treating other tanks and the bristle noses none too happy.

Sometimes you can't win.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.