EGGS!!!!!

meesheelly

Just leave them be for now; see how they go with their parenting skills. I recommend leaving pairs in the community tank for a few spawns for practise and then if you want to breed them seriously move them to their own tank. A microworm culture helps with rams as the fry are very teeny and can't take bbs to begin with.

Congrats shelly,

As antwan said, but I should mention that feeding microworms in a community tank often triggers the feeding that ends up making the fry become the food. In other words, remove the fry to their own little tank before feeding them to prevent them become snacks.

Sorry to disagree with you Mekhaela, but I would recommend leaving them be for now, if after 3-4 spawns and the parents go nowhere, then try raising them artificially. With most cichlids it's all about practice. All up to what you want to do really.

Hey you don't have to say sorry for disagreeing with me over that Ants, we all have our own ways etc, me taking eggs in the past and raising them has worked for me, that is all, however, I didn't have my apistos in an apisto only tank so didn't want to risk the fry etc with other tank mates... if they had of been housed in their own tanks to breed then it may have been a totally different case, would have loved to watch them raise their own and hope for the best :D

The eggs I had meeshelley were inside little teracotta pots, so I would take the pot, and place in a bare bottom tank, same water etc, and I would run a air stone not far from the pot so there was a slight current and I would put a couple of drops of methyl blue in the tank, and all have hatched well in the past.

• 1 month later...

yay my rams have laid again except this time it is on a patch of gravel.

Why they chose there and not one of the 3 pots that are in there i dont know.

They are doing a good job of defending them against the angels and GBAs but im not sure how long they will last

I try to overcome that problem and also the "to protect I'll eat them" syn, when the lights go suddenly out, I leave a light on that gives defused light in the fishroom.

I like to think that it is like moomlight to them. :roll: