Aeration in tank

ducati

Aeration increases the surface area of the tank and allows you to have more fish and can help circulate the water to even out temperature etc. If the tank is not heavily stocked with fish it is not realy required but in some circumstances would be advisable. E.G. I have a tank in a cabinet which is aerated to keep fresh air above the water as it is pretty well sealed otherwise.

I recently went to a goldfish breeders place and he had a huge number of fish in a very small space. There was plenty of water flowing - so in this sort of intensive operation is it the filtration or water movement thats important? I guess the key is water quality and my questions are about attaining that?

When you are breeding large numbers of fish it becomes a matter of economy of scale and you have to rare as many fish as you can in a facility to cut costs. Filtration removes the lumps and provides housing for bacteria to operate the nitrogen cycle but doesn't get rid of the solubles. Generally breeders will feed to excess and water change as much as possible to get maximum growth. That is what I used to do anyway.

Thanks for you help on this and sorry for so many questions. I have a couple of big plastic tanks outside (about 600L each) - I want to raise as many baby goldfish in them as possible until I build my new pond. What will I need to do this? As I said I couldnt believe how many fish this breeder had in such a small space - and they all looked fine.