Angelfish Stripe problem??

Dixon1990

Yep thats normal. Most cichlids have the ability to lighten or darken in the space of a couple of seconds depending on mood.

They disappear when the fish is sleeping or stressed. A happy and setlled angelfish will have strong dark black markings. Sometimes it can take them a while to settle in to a new tank, or get used to goings on outside the aquarium, or get used to their tank mates.

They disappear when the fish is sleeping or stressed. A happy and setlled angelfish will have strong dark black markings. Sometimes it can take them a while to settle in to a new tank, or get used to goings on outside the aquarium, or get used to their tank mates.

i don't agree with the above. my angels have grown from small fish to almost 3 inches long in their current tank & have been in this tank for over a year. the majority of the time the markings are faint. they darken up when they are being agressive with each other of when they are laying eggs. they don't darken up when they are chasing the other fish in the tank, only each other.

The stripes do darken up when there is dominance being displayed...

We only keep the Dumerilli Angels... we have 4 in a 5ft planted tank.. and note that the less dominant one lightens.. the dominant always shows his full colours..

SpidersWeb wrote:

They disappear when the fish is sleeping or stressed.

SpidersWeb is right, they can lighten with stress.. I find at times that the non dominant in the tank lighten when there is a bit of a power trip going on :lol:

Most of the time tho mine show their stripes nicely when the tank is settled, but as soon as there is a stir up, you soon notice who is top dog..

i don't agree with the above. my angels have grown from small fish to almost 3 inches long in their current tank & have been in this tank for over a year. the majority of the time the markings are faint. they darken up when they are being agressive with each other of when they are laying eggs. they don't darken up when they are chasing the other fish in the tank, only each other.

I've found my angels to always have dark stripes, and just visisted a pet store with around 50 angels, all with dark stripes. I think yours may have a gene making them more likely to stay light. Certainly not something I've seen in common stocks. I've got veiltail, regular, and zebra specimens of the striped types, and they only go faint when stressed.

There is a stripeless gene, but stripeless dont show stripes during aggression. Double dose of stripeless and you get blushing (white) which is a good looking angel too :)