Setting up a tadpole / frog tank - Need some help.

Chris.L

I got an 80L tank that I use for my whistling tree frogs. The bottom was forst covered in a layer a couple of centimetres thick of gravel, then soil from the garden was put on top for another 3 or 4 centimetres. I would thoroughly recommend salvia as a plant for the terrarium although it requires regular pruning because it grows too fast.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want my tank to grow heaps. I am getting a tank with the dimensions (or close to) the following:

700 L x 400 W x 500 H which should be about 38-40 gallons.

Going to put a small pond in the middle of the tank, with gravel on the side and peat moss on top of the gravel. I just got a mother in laws tongue to add when it arrives. I might even put in a little waterfall, but that all depends if I can find a pump. If they are going to bury themselves under the pond, I think they are out of luck! I don't know how I will keep the water in otherwise .. unless the gravel will hold it well enough..

I will post some pics when it's all going etc, and when the frogs start morphing.

When will the cultures be sent?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm trying to find a suitable box to post them in. Hopefully I should be able to send them tomorrow.

ok - no rush. I will let the first 10-25 of my tadpoles go back to the pond, and keep the rest. If they are going to be big frogs, I will probably need to buy them crickets etc next spring~

Does anyone know how to culture crickets? Im gonna look in the T&E for a tank with *hopefully* a light. Later on I'm going to put a very small pump in there water, which will create a small waterfall inside the tank. I'm going to mist them once every day. Bromeliads, babyears, moss, mother in laws tongues and hopefully something like a fern will go in. Looking forward to the project :D

Are you sure these frogs hibernate .. ? I think I used to have a gold bell frog years ago, and I don't remember it hibernating. Still eating, just staying still. If they are whistling tree frogs, it would be *sorta* better because of their size, though I used to enjoy feeding the biggie crickets. I will ocassionally go out and get them some earthworms.

If you didn't know how to culture anything, what would you do in winter except buying flies from the petshop?

Thanks