My upgrade :D

Nickle Pickle

Hey everyone, I have been planning to upgrade for quite a while now and the time has finally come!! :bounce: :bounce:

I have got the main ideas sussed but just thought i'd run it past everyone just incase something was forgotten or if anything could be improved.

I'm going to be doing a cube type setup 700x700x600. I want to have an overflow box in the corner of the tank will two holes drilled so I can run a full syphon and a back up to the sump.

In terms of lighting, at the moment I am looking at 1x150W MH and 4x 24W T5's. I am planning on getting a return pump around 4000L/H and also a tunze 6100 (I think that was the one) stream and possibly a controller to go with that. I'll also be getting a better skimmer, still not entirely sure of whats going to be happening in that department yet.

I'll also have a thin layer of sand about 10mm. Just having the sand purely because I like the look and I don't think my sleeper goby would enjoy not having anything to keep him busy.

These are some pics I did in paint to show you guys the sort of thing I am wanting

tankdesign3D.jpg

And the sump design which looks a bit confusing but I hope it makes sense

sumpdesign3D.jpg

A plan view of the sump

sumpdesign.jpg

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated

I was going to say exactly the same thing about the sump.

You only need one under baffle, especially if you're using a full siphon overflow, and you have the overflow pipe entering the sump at the right angle.

Other than that, it's pretty much how I would setup a tank.

Yip, but once it enters the sump, instead of having it point straight down into the bottom of the sump, use either a 90 degree bend so it directs water parallel with the surface of the water, or alternatively a U (180 bend) so that the water is directed back towards the surface in the sump (like a spring).

It minimises the time it takes for any stray bubbles to vent to the atmosphere so they don't get sucked into the return pump and into the tank.

Layton

Well I have gotten my new lights :bounce: 4x T5 HO's :bounce: :bounce:

I've have just done a rush job to set them up over my current tank as I couldn't wait for the new tank :lol:

Old lighting setup:

1x 150W MH

2x 18W blue attinics (sp?)

1x 15W random white bulb I had at the time

DSC02388.jpg

New lighting setup:

1x 150W MH

2x 24W Marine blue T5

1x 24W 18000K T5

1x 24W 6700K T5

DSC02406.jpg

I could only find 3 reflectors, but I'm pretty sure I have more...so I have stuck two T5's under one for now.

I also didn't trust my temporary lighting setup :lol: :oops: so I am going to go without the MH untill I can build something to support them all safely over the new tank. I guess you can see why...

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

So once removing the MH this is what my tank currently looks like:

DSC02410.jpg

And yes that is the heater in the middle of the tank and that is a hole lot of green algae on the front glass that I haven't bothered scrapping off (can't find the scrapping thing-a-ma-jig) :oops: :lol:

Do you like the mix of

2* Actinic

1* Lifeglo 6500K

1* Powerglo 16000k

And have you tried the new mtl halllide bulb yet ?

yea the mix is great...well as far as I can tell :lol: I like the colour of the tank that they make the tank

I managed to get the bulb in after a bit of a hassel getting the MH unit apart and back together. The tank looks a bit yellow though. I think it's because I had to move one of the blue T5's back so that the light from the MH could get through. Might also be because the bulb is brand new.

the new glo t5s are not to bad at all.

I think they are great. They have increased the amount of light going into my tank heaps!! I would definately recommend them to all :hail: