My first Krib

fattythecatty

Yesterday I was given a female, or so I'm told, Krib. I've got her quarantined and I'm not too sure about her health. she seems very, well lethargic. She's sitting on the bottom of her tank not doing much. Last night she seemed to have trougle breathing but is ok today. Her tummy has coloured up over night too and every now and then she'll have a little dart about. Is this normal Krib behavior? I guess she's young, about 5cm long. what does she need to make her more comfortable?

I'd rather keep her than let her go down the toilet which was her fate before landing at my house!! Help!!

Just keep an eye on her, is she eating? And give her something to possibly hide in, Kribs do like their hidey holes, she might be feeling a bit vunerable sitting in a tank with nothing to hide in. Just nice healthy water and airation and she should be fine, as I said, keep a close eye :D You may have found she was breathing a bit heavy due to stress of moving etc..

Thanks for that, she is much better this afternoon so I'll assume she was stressed from the move, yesterday the heat was up in the thirties. My tanks are running about 28 degrees WITHOUT the heater on. The shock of clean water may have upset her too as the conditions she was in were not very good.

Just wanted to mention unplugging the heater will not have any affect on the temperature of an aquarium that is being kept hot by external measures such as room temperature. This is because the heaters thermostat will ensure the heater either doesn't turn on, or doesn't turn on long enough to have any effect.

I'm guessing you had another reason to unplug the heater, I just like to make sure people dont get the wrong idea.

Its 27C in here today, and I'm sweating like a pig :( Seriously going to save some $$ on the power bill though.

No, I've only got her, she's a bit of a rescue fish but will look into getting her a mate when she's settled into the community tank. Have made her a cave with a terracota pot and some plants and she seems happy now. She's not hiding but swimming about checking out her new environment and is bright and alert although I haven't seen her eating yet but I guess that doesn't mean she's not, I just haven't seen her.