Corydoras with white mouth and no whiskers

Lady-Lene

Hi all.

Can anyone offer any advice on what this is on my corydoras. I have four (two golden spotted and 2 panda). One of each is affected.

They have lost all of their whiskers and around their mouth is swollen and white looking. I have tried to get a photo, but the golden spotted one just goes into hiding. I managed to get one of the panda cory (although it could have been clearer).

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... _=75412825

All of the other fish in the tank seem healthy and its not something I have seen before.

Your help would be appreciated.

No Sharn its not really fluffy, just white and soft looking. The substrate stones are all smooth edged and I can't see that it would upset them. Panda got it first, noticed his whiskers (are they called barbells?) were gone then whiteness started later. Then just noticed yesterday that one of the golden spotted has developed the same. The other two like fine.

Actually on closer inspection it does look kind of like a fungus but not really fluffy.

Managed a photo of spotted. My he does look odd with that little white face hey!

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/Albu ... _=75412825

Hi Caryl thanks for your reply - yes I siphon thoroughly every time I do a water change. You can see the gravel in the photo - its small and quite rounded. I feed them in the same spot everyday so bought some larger round stones today and will trying placing those where they usually get fed. I have also dosed them today with tonic for white-spot and fungus (I'm suspicious that its some kind of fungus infection). Just have to see how that goes and if not successful I guess I'll have to pull them out and into quarantine until I get on top of it. Especially if I'm not sure what it is. Most inconvenient as my daughter is getting married and I'm gonna be gone for a couple of days. Bad timing!

Well ..... I got drastic and took all the fishies out and pulled the tank apart. I took all the substrate (including aquamix underneath stones) out and replaced the stones (wanted to have darker stones anyhow) and put it all back together again. The stones are a lot smoother than the last ones.

The aquamix underneath was a bit smelly so it could have been a problem. BIG THANKS to Caryl :hail:

It took longer to catch the fish than to clean the tank (especially those elusive cardinals. I re-used all the water and I left the filters and large rocks alone so as (hopefully) not to upset the water parameters too much. Heres hoping ........ :P

The little corys now have some nice large smooth rocks to blob out on during the day and they appear to be very impressed with that. the rewarded me by flitting up and down the front of the tank doing all kinds of antics. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hi Lady-lene,

I've got the same problem with one of my corydoras... how did your treatment work out? I initially thought it might be related to the substrate but the other 5 corydoras are doing fine...

I think I'll try the fungus treatment though.

cheers,

paekakboyz

:cry: Didn't get the fungus treatment in time sadly!

Came home and the poor little fella was belly up... the other 5 are doing fine and show no sign of illness (so far!)

No other fish in the tank show any kind of fungal infection so I'm hoping it was limited to that one fish.