male betta with swollen stomach

fishdish

My little Charlie a male betta developed a swollen stomach it is not dropsy he has been like this for over a week now I put aquarium salt in the tank made no difference I took him out of the main tank and put him in a bowl in a warm place there is still no difference all the other fish are healthy as. He was beinging harrased by 1 or 2 of the black widow tetras they would nip his fins but not a lot as his fins are still quite long I have not seen him eating either each time I come home from work I expect Charlie to be dead but he dosen't want to die he is still very lively I don't know weather to put him back into the main tank I can't leave him in a bowl what should I do help cheers Joy :cry:

With dropsy, if you look down from above, the fish will appear all puffed out and the scales will look like a pinecone. More likely to be constipated I think. If he is constipated his belly area only will be swollen and yes, the scales will stick out a bit on the swollen area.

Try feeding him a cooked pea (pop it out of the shell first as it is a bit hard to digest). Peas are good for constipation in fish. Failing this you can use Epsom Salts but I am not sure of the doseage offhand.

Hi, with my fighters their stomachs tend to blow up before you can see the pinecone look and then the scales stick out further each day. I haven't had dropsy for a long time but when I did I used to have to use a magnifying glass at the start to see the pinecone - always developed a bloated stomach first and stopped eating.

Unfortunately I have never been able to cure it!