January 25, 200719 yr comment_143994 Hey, I just cant seem to get my swordtails, platties and mollys to produce fry. They get extremely round and then moved to a small breeding tank about a week before they are due and just wont drop their fry? This is disappointing and would like to know if anyone can offer some advice? Thanks in advance! Report
January 25, 200719 yr comment_143997 Sounds like a matter of timing , if you want to use the breeding boxes , you need to time it so they will drop withing 24 hours of putting them in there or they will stress and either injest the baby's or have stillborn. You can always fill a tank with fine leaved plants and just move them to there to drop then let the babies stay to grow and move the mother back to her normal tank .... good luck Report
January 25, 200719 yr Author comment_144000 My "breeding tank" is a 5l tank with plastic plants in it as the traps weren't working? Maybe I need more plants? Report
January 25, 200719 yr comment_144015 i leave mine to do what ever in my tanks (i have heaps of plants in there tho) and they grow up, a few must get eaten but a lot survive Report
January 25, 200719 yr comment_144028 I used a 30L tank, had a bunch of indian fern etc in it, nothing flash and a sponge filter, put the platty in and all went well. I've had to stop doing this as I now have over 100 plattys which are reaching maturity now. Some pretty ones in there tho. But yeah if you've got stuff like indian fern floating on the surface, and lots of planted stuff like java moss etc then you should get them increasing in numbers easily. Main reason I moved my females was because the tank has angels, kribs etc in it and they love platty patties. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.