What Alage eaters to buy.

shauntilyard

I have a couple of bristle noses that i thought would be good at eating the alage in my tank. They seem to eat all the other plants but not the alage. Is there a specfic type of alage eater that will be better then bristle noses in a community tank and a cichlid tank?

Bristle noses are cool but want something that will do a good job too.

Any help would be awesome

What type of algae? And how big is the tank?

I've found that the 3 types of fish mentioned plus borneo suckers all help with control but not eradication of algae. Somewhere in the system there will most likely be: too much light or nutrients or not enough plants to outcompete the algae or possibly not enough algae eating fish.

What type of algae? And how big is the tank?

I've found that the 3 types of fish mentioned plus borneo suckers all help with control but not eradication of algae. Somewhere in the system there will most likely be: too much light or nutrients or not enough plants to outcompete the algae or possibly not enough algae eating fish.

Haha i laughed when I read that because i read the last bit the wrong way. Imagine if you cauld get humungous algae which devoured fish whole- It would take the annoyance of algae to a whole new level!

The tank is about 90 litres, it is an AR620T. Can't remeber the measurements of the top of my head. I just sorted the lighting out, because it came with shocking lights. It wouldnot allow anything to grow. So yeah plants are still on the thin side at the moment. It is green alage which i think is because of two much light, the tank is right beside a window that gets some sun. Can't move the tank so thought i would get some algae eaters.

I must be doing something right with the tank, just after i changed the lights, and my plant actually started growing my angles spawned! So am now the proud owner of ten little angel fry!

Yeap some Bristles will touch the plants, we were only discussing this the other day on another thread, some are more plant hungry than algae hungry, I am trialing some back in planted tank, (GBAs) which were fair little devils when it came to my plants esecially Cabomba and Swords :lol: Time will tell! :D

Oto's are awesome and SAE to.. I find the Otos really busy little beavers...

Keep in mind with Borneo Suckers... they are a fish that prefers cooler water, they are much longer lived and that is their preferred conditions. They actually like between 18-24 temp, I found this out when I bought mine.. made sure I had a read up and a lady prior had been telling me that when she was getting them they were dying in her tank (nothing else was, tank was fine) I think temp may have been one of the reasons they expired sooner rather than later :-?

Here is a link:

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Borneo%20Sucker.htm

:D