How to catch a flailing silver arowana on the carpet.

sharronpaul

Title says it all! :oops:

We'd just finished a tank overhaul, and Boris the arowana (around 50cm or so long) was being transferred from the 45 ltr chilly bin back to his six footer with our very large net.

Sadly, Boris didn't like the net and as we were about to lower him into the tank, he flicked himself out and down the back of the cabinet. I had topull him out by his tail (no time to think of anything else) and re-net him, then he flicked himself out again.

Third time lucky I guess, and he won't be removed from his tank again in a very long time.

At the moment, he's in his re-arranged tank, sulking.But at least he's swimming and I hope he learns his lesson.

Needless to say, we're both very happy he's back in the tank and looking not much the worse for wear (a few scales missing) and our heart rates have now returned to normal! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lesson learnt - when netting arowana, once arowana is in net, cover net.

:o So glad he is ok :D I bet that was a real mission and a little scarey really... That happened to one I know of, they lifted the the big lid on the Aro tank and the Aro shot out of the top of the tank within minutes and hit the front of the marine tank across the aisle.. He must have had his eye on one of the damsels for lunch.. :roll: :lol: :lol:

perhaps something like a large pillow case/duvet cover may work? guide em in like they do for snakes. bet they can put a bit of a fight tho!

S & P- glas hes ok *phew* did ya keep any of his scales? be neat to have a look at!

Use the appropriate size fish bag in the top of the tank to do this, like i said it works MINT.

Glad hes doing well

Don't know how an aro would go in a plastic bag when aroused.

I had a silver shark go straight thru one and land 2 metres away

But I have handled a huge (2'er) giant goramy in a wet towel while we drove it back to it's owner, in Palmie North after a fish show there

Don't know how an aro would go in a plastic bag when aroused.

I had a silver shark go straight thru one and land 2 metres away

But I have handled a huge (2'er) giant goramy in a wet towel while we drove it back to it's owner, in Palmie North after a fish show there

How long was he out of the water for??? :o:o:o

:) oh the joys of big fish.. we put a whole plastic tub in the tank to catch the buggers.. i have not seen a fish bag that would fit half of our fish :). next time just lift and tip the chilly bin.

and sad to say u will eventualy have to move the arow agen as 6 foot tank it a bit small fot a active big fish...

your tank sounds nice what elce in in with the aro and do u have any pics? i love seeing diffrent arow homes.

Yep, when we put him in the tank, we tipped him out of the chilli bin. Was much easier.

He's in the tank with a footlong plec. Am thinking of adding a pair of chocolate cichlids (full-grown, around 20cm) as there is driftwood in the tank, which will hopefully constitute a bit of territory.

(edit for spelling mistake :oops: )

its tricky with arows and tank mates expecialy at that size. A few months ago we got a full grown bornio tigger, they seem to get along fine but the arow gobbles all the food so we realy have to target feed the bornio. Also the bornio allways has scrapes and cuts on it so there must be some territorial problems.

Our tank is 7x2x2 and has 3 big bit of drift wood in it and no plants (arow pulls them up) only fish are the arow who is 2 foot long, a big pleco and the bornio. We also have two big canaster filters and water change (syphon) every week as the bio load of the 3 big fish are huge.

We've just put the choc's in and they're being stubbornly ignored by the aro ("Boris") but are doing this.....

wrestlingchocolates.jpg

... to each other. Have fed them, and you're right, boris took the lot.

I hear loud and clear what you say about the extra canister, we've got a CF1200 on a 350L tank, and it's about right for Boris. We'll get another and put it on the other end, assuming the chocs calm down a bit.

cute fishys, they will settle down soon i hope as it is nice having more then just boris in a tank. :)

with the feeding try get the chocs to feed down at one side of tank and boris at the other. we have found this helps a bit as it takes our arow a bit oftime to relise there is more food coming in at other side..

• 2 weeks later...