Plant ID please

HandS

Hey bud, this is just a guess but take a look at Heteranthera zosterifolia (Indian Star Grass) and compare some pics to see if it's the same...

http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=Het ... a=N&tab=wi

or perhaps Heteranthera dubia -

http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=Het ... a=N&tab=wi

Here's a question, why's H. zosterifolia called Indian Star Grass if it's from the Mato Grosso region of Brazil?

Indian Star grass is Hygrophila polysperma. zosteraefolia means star leaf. The plant may be Eichhornia azurea grown submersed. I used to have it years ago, a permitted first cousin of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) needs strong light and has a blue flower. At least I think it is permitted as I used to sell it to the shops 30 years ago.

Sorry alan, it looks alot like it but is definatly not Eichhornia azurea. The main thing that makes me say this is

Care must be taken to not let the plant reach the surface of the aquarium as it will form a very different looking floating leaf that will quickly block the light from reaching below.

Mine reached the top long time ago but when it reaches the top, it goes much like cobomba, it will just curl it self on the top. None of the plant i have has breeched the surface

The link you gave mystic looked alot like it, but googling the name given, the majority of the plants looked to have the leafs too tightly curled and way too dense.

Thanks anyway guys. Any other ideas????

• 2 weeks later...

Don't believe everything Mr Google tells you. It is not easy to convert E. azurea to the floating form-- still reckon thats what you have. Looks similar to zosteraefolia but the leaves are longer and they curl down. Stalk is firmer and the leaves go black if it doesn't get enough light (like H. zosteraefolia)