Tank full of pairs

Fred

Hello all

I am looking to start obtaining pairs for my african tank (think its way more fun when you have fish interested in eachother).....

and i was just wondering if i had a pair of a few species would the tank agression levels be too high? would it be better to have a pair as in a treo with one male and two females? or even with 3females for every male

Yeah, Hybrids aren't cool, I would definatly recommend trio's and try to keep to the more placid of the Cichlids if you want them to get along. ie Electric Yelloews, Peacocks (don't mix peacocks with Kadango's) Giraffe's, Peach one's - don't know what they're called.

I know these are sweet as I have them.

cool, so its probably better just to have lots of fishies and perhaps a few pairs in the tank rather than go pair crazy :D

very good then

i was just curious as to if it was even a viable thing to do. so far the kenyi pair i have are fairly placid (compared to having heard that they can be agressive) and have recently breed without causing havock.

yea and i better not risk getting any sort of hybrids or il have a lynch mob after me :D

I wouldn't suggest the use of pairs either. The poor male when his only female is holding. Then it will become poor female, because the male has nothing else to harass.

Suggest as above trios or more. As for mixing & matching species, well that depends on varying factors.

How about you list a few species that you are keen on, then some of us can give you our 2 cents. Also tank size would be good too.

Frenchy :D

Sure thing

the tank is a 7 1/2 footer (cant forget that extra 15 odd cm's :D ) its 750L all up.

For starters im keen on getting pair of electric yellows and Melanchromis Auratus. And i already have breeding pair of kenyi. I would imagine there would be no problem between those three in terms of hybrids as they are fairly different?

I've got to agree with herefishiefishie, it depends on different factors. I've been keeping fish, including Malawis for ages. I've never had any problems with hybrids. I've got a 5 foot tank and have about 9 different species in there. In my opinion just get your stock level right and try to keep more females to male ratio. I've never had problems with fighting and the only time I had a female worse for wear was when having one female to a male.

Don't mix same species, like peacocks or zebra and you should be ok. If possible stock all fish at the same time, or if you introduce new ones do it after lights out or when feeding the other ones.

I know some people will differ from my opinion, but listen to all and use what you think is best. There are lots of experienced people on the forum and I learn new things daily.

Good luck, have fun stocking your tank. :D

if you introduce new ones do it after lights out or when feeding the other one

good idea, ive only had to introduce small fish into tanks ive had and i guess when putting new adults in its a different story

the best i can do is listen to the good advice and also learn from experience, as ive noticed some people have had success with mixing certain fish with others and then you hear of other horror stories.

yea the kenyi pair is one to one but recently got a few other mediumish size kenyi so now the male one is spreading his attention.

I've got Kenyi, Auratus, Bubblebees, Ice blue zebra, Rainbow auratus, Electric yellows, Lumpheads, Aurora, Johanni and random convicts I adopted all in one tank. They breed and the younger ones will start breeding soon, as I introduced some species later. They one big happy community and no problems.

I've heard of Kenyi and Auratus being bullies and trouble, but have not had problems with mine. My Kenyi male is about 15cm and the biggest in the tank. He gets stroppy when spawning, but don't harm the others, just chase them out his bedroom.

For our display tank we have our main "centre piece" (as you could call them) fish which are Peacocks.. all males, saves the hassles :D :lol: The only fish we have in there that are capable of breeding are the Johanni (which is definately a have more than one female) and a large group of Electric Yellows. Display purposes it is so much easier having a hassle free tank :lol: And the Peacock boys are just stunning when they have their fins intact :lol:

All our breeders are seperated into their different species groups and when the fish shed is completed they will all have their designated tanks.

As Frenchy says, trio or more, saves so much hassle for you and the fish :lol: