Hi we're new (Chch)

fievels007

Damn, just typed heaps and then lost it!

In short I bought my partner a 60L tank for Xmas cos he was always so into my class fish tank whenever I brought it home from work. He was a bit baffled at first, but he is getting more and more excited as we go.

We are in Chch and have bought all our stuff from Redwood Aquatics. Does anyone know of any other good places to shop for fishy stuff in Chch?

We bought backing paper, white pebbles, 6 plants and the most expensive piece of driftwood ever! The tank has been on for 4 days now and we think we'll play it safe and wait another week before getting our first fishies.

The plants have a littel algae on them, but from what I read this is normal.

The thermometer strip that we have stuck on the side of the tank reads 26 degrees despite having the heater set at 22, I'm guessing one of them is not too accurate and perhaps a more traditional thermometer would be better?

Anyway, no major questions to ask at this stage. Have already read lots of posts that answer any questions I had in mind.

Look forward to recieving all of your help in the near future when we get our first wee fullas.

the temp of twenty-six will be because of the fact that your room temp is highter than 22. your heater will turn on if the temperature gets too low but if it goes above 22 it will obviously remain off (It has no cooling function if this makes sense)

oh and welcome to the forums- I'm sure you will learn heaps... I have only been a member on this forum for 6 months or so and in that time I have gone from having one coldwater and one tropical tank to having over 12 tanks- and its all thanks to these guys :lol: . I hope you have fun on the forums too!

Hi fievels007.

I'm in chc too and was asking about gravel prior to the holidays.

Someone from this site told me to go down to birdlings flat and I'm so glad I did. I saved having to buy gravel from a shop and brought home a big selection of driftwood!!

I washed the gravel heaps about an inch in a bucket at a time sloshing it around with lots of freshwater, tipped out water and repeated, then did this for all the gravel I had picked up. My tankis freshwater so I didn't want any salt left in the stones.

With the driftwood, based on advice from the guys here, I soaked it in a plastic bin outside held down with some bricks/stones as some of it was floating! I let it soak 2-3 weeks changing the water daily for the first few days then every few days afterwards.

The wood is now in my tank with no problems excet that it's grown a pale fuzz on it (which after searching in the forum seems to be harmless). My tank has been up for about 3 weeks now so I'm pretty new to this also. I will just take the wood out this weekend and give it a wipe down maybe pour some boling water on it as I hadn't done this before. Been waiting until the tank finished cycling which it did late last week. (Fish had been in about 10 days)

So yes...you can pick up driftwood from around the place :)

I ordered alot of my stuff from www.petplanet.co.nz. I have no affiliation with the site but after shopping around at most of the petshops in chch I found I could get really good prices online. The shipping is $5 unless you order something massive so if you're buying several things then even with the shipping you end up spending less money. Stuff arrives in about 2 days.

Hi and welcome to this fantastic forum!

Thought i would let you know about our meeting of Chch Totally Tanked which is going to be held on the Saturday 3rd of February about 5pm. Our address is 57A hoon Hay road, Hillmorton. You are welcome to come along. There will be a pot luck barbecue so bring a salad or something to chuck on the barbecue! Oh and be prepared to talk a lot about fishy matters!

• 1 month later...