Sword plant flowering

PENEJANE

Ok after having a close look at my tanks yesterday and doing my normal check I have noticed that my sword plant has got a thick stem sticking out with what looks to be buds forming. It hasn't reached the top of the water yet and I was wondering what it is that I am to expect and how do I get it to produce more plants? Do I keep the stem weighted down so it will produce leaves or let it flower then put it back under water?

Any help would be great thanks.

Cheers.

They will often flower under water (depending on what type you have) They will grow plants more readily if you weigh them down so they are under the water but near the surface so they get maximum light. Leave the plantlets on the runner till they have half dozen good leaves and roots then gently prize the bigger ones off and others will often grow. They take a while to re establish when seperated so the more they are developed the better.

Wish I had read this the other day!

My Amazon Sword started a spike just before Christmas and I let it grow out of the tank. It got to about 80cm before it stopped growing any taller and it's still flowering. The cat chewed off the end so I'm guessing it would have got to over a metre tall.

Anyway, it started another spike a few days ago and as I was loosing too much water from having the cover open I cut them both off.

I didnt know Sword's grew new plants from spikes I thought it was from runners. If it grows another spike I will know what to do now.