Eggs again :)

suemack

Hi Sue

I have bred these guys a couple of times of the past few months, Our ones spawned in a community tank and the parents looked after them very well... BUT I decided to remove them from the parents and raise them away from the all the other fish in the tank.

I raised them in a 40 litre tank with a small amount of meth blue to keep on top of any fungus.

They will take brine shrimp or finely crushed flake as a first food.

They do take a while to grow.

Good luck

/Bruce

Thanks Bruce - these are just babies still (only their 2nd lot of eggs) in a 29 gall community tank (cories, kuhlis, an apistogramma borellii, guppies and neons). they are keeping the others away from the 1/2 tank they are guarding. I think they laid the eggs Friday am - it's about 4 days to hatching isn't it (if they are fertile) :D

Can you tell from the photo if they are M & F? I'm still not sure.

thanks Sue

From that pic I would have first said they are both males but since you have eggs... :lol:

The one at the back is the female and the front is a male. Males have slightly longer dorsal and anal fins. Looking at them, see how the anal fin on the back fish lines up with the end of the caudal (tail) fin but the fish in the front has an anal fin extending past its caudal. That is just my opinion of course :D

Hi Sue

Hatching time is temperate dependant to some degree

But 4-5 days would be pretty close, they seem to take a long time before they are free swimming.

Good Luck

BTW

I couldnt really see the diffrence between our male and female apart from the female was slightly smaller than the male

how big a tank would they need to be in Bruce?

At present they are in a 36 x 15 x 15 inch well planted tank with 3 cories, kuhlis, an apistogramma, 6 neons and a few guppies - they are definately the top fish of the tank - no-one came near when they were guarding the eggs.

thanks - sue

I bread myne in a 24 x 12 x 12

Like Bruce said, long time to grow.

Hard to tell the sex difference,

other than it's the female wot lays the eggs.

My male was bigger than his mate.

Hope you haven't got two females.

have you had any hatch out or were they eaten as eggs the first time.

Leave them in with the other fish, then you wont have to worry about "dither fish".

Goodluck

Alan