ANEMONE

mat692

or how ever you spell it :roll:

I noticed a couple at the beach recently not 100% sure if thats what they were but thats what they looked like, one was pure white and the other purple. was just wondering if its possible to collect these and start a SW tank, Ive got some 14000K 150w MH units lying around so might start playing with SW---once I come back from the solomans where Ill hopefully get to go diving with some wild fish and coral :D 8)

Id use water from there home and some shrimp from the same rock pools

ANY ideas

hey mat. at the museum we have a tank full of temperate anenomes. They don't need metal halide, we just have T8 lighting for them. I wouldn't put shrimp in with them unless you want to feed the anenomes. We just have cats eyes (turbo's) in the tank to keep the algae down. Our anenomes are hand fed mussel pieces once a week. (I normally give them 1/8 of a mussel each). In terms of filtration we just have a sump and trickle filter (Wool, bioballs,wool) plus a carbon filter.

Whereabouts in the Solomons are you going diving.

Spent some time diving out in the Western Province - best places were Munda and Gizo. Got caught up in their cue in Honiara and ended up getting a lift back to Cairns with the Aust navy !!

Hey davidb

visited the museum over the Xmas/NY break (first time in years). I was massively impressed! :hail::hail::hail:

Only thing that concerned me a tad was that the little reef tank didn't seem to be that happy. Looked very pink and the colour seemed very washed out in the anenome and on the clown in the tank. I think it was a skunk clown but it had very little colour. Also you have a stunning crop of aiptasia going on in there :o (Which is probably not a good thing)

Not wanting to be a picky bugger or too critical but just telling how I saw it - sorry :oops:

Apart from my whinge above, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will be back to finish it off (kids ran out of steam) soon. You and whoever else is responsible for getting the museum to its current excellent presentation should be congratulated.

Good on you all.

Anyone who hasn't been for a while should make the effort to go. It was packed when we went and is not the "stuffy, staid and tomb-like" museum of old - it is an excellent day out

:hail::bow::hail::bow::hail::bow::hail::bow::hail:

Only thing that concerned me a tad was that the little reef tank didn't seem to be that happy. Looked very pink and the colour seemed very washed out in the anenome and on the clown in the tank. I think it was a skunk clown but it had very little colour. Also you have a stunning crop of aiptasia going on in there (Which is probably not a good thing)

Not wanting to be a picky bugger or too critical but just telling how I saw it - sorry

Apart from my whinge above, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will be back to finish it off (kids ran out of steam) soon. You and whoever else is responsible for getting the museum to its current excellent presentation should be congratulated.

Good on you all.

Anyone who hasn't been for a while should make the effort to go. It was packed when we went and is not the "stuffy, staid and tomb-like" museum of old - it is an excellent day out

hey skippy- thanks for the compliments....

the anenome in the reef tank almost died but he is making a comeback now- should be getting his colour back soon.... the clown has lost colour as well, although he is getting old... and yes the aiptasia is pretty bad in the tank. we usually zap them once a week with joes juice so it is getting better... did the octopus come out of his hole to say hello?

HI Again

thanks for the compliments....

No need to thank me - the museum is enough thanks. I meant what I said in the earlier post - it is awesome now. The kids (big and little - 2 under 10, 1 30+ ish and 1 40) all had a ball especially in the Weird and Wonderful and the aquatic/sea/etc areas. I loved the "coral reef wall", all the tanks and the under floor(glass) rock pool is brilliant.

did the octopus come out of his hole to say hello?

:o:o:o No he didn't - bummer! Have to look out for him next time. Does he try and eat the fish in the tank? :o

Went for a dive on Saturday looking for scallops but found sod all (been picked over by the holidayers). What I did find was a stunning pale orange with pink dots nudibranch, a weird claret/maroon coloured starfish (about a 6cm dia centre with 5 about 15-20cm legs) as well as a more normal looking starfish except that he was totally covered on the body and legs with about 5mm long, hard spines. He was about 20cm across including legs Never seen either of them before. Idiot me left the camera at home so not even any pics. :-?

Want me to go back and find them and send them to you for the starfish tank? :o:D They were only in about 4-5m of water around the rocks. :D

really...Sounds interesting. grab a pic and I'll show my boss- he's really into those sorts of things....

The octopus is in a tank by himself- down by the cave weta's in wierd and wonderful... He has lots of fun games like pulling the cats-eyes apart as well as the mussels we feed him. he also likes grabbing on to my arm!!! they are strong blighters :lol:

I'll see what the weather is like on the weekend (pretty crap up here today but I think it is the same everywhere). I think the wife would be keen to get some scallops from a different bed which isn't too far from where I found the starfish.

Do you want me to catch them or just take pics? (If we go of course and assuming I can find them again!)

Do you know of any good starfish web sites so I can have a look and maybe I can ID the ones I found.

Cheers

Skippy

Do you want me to catch them or just take pics? (If we go of course and assuming I can find them again!)

just get a picture if you can thanks. we have many more starfish etc than those on display so it would be interesting to see wehter we have one or not. keep in mind that starfish are carnivores and so some are better than others as some like to eat eachother etc... we feed ours mussel pieces but they still go for the cats-eyes!!!!

I posted these pics a while back, I went to Kaikoura for a field trip and I got to do a mini project on which anemone wins in "fights". The most common one (the olive aneome) on the left in the top pic was the winner, followed by the cool stripey one.

smallan.jpg

small3.jpg439-3928_IMG.jpg

small2.jpg

They were all found in rockpools, there was also a cool one that covered itself with bits of sand and broken shells. I can't wait to get my tank fired up. :o

Very cool. I'm kind of tempted to fill my spare tank in the garage and make it a local marine on. I saw hundreds of little anenomes on my dive the other day.

Would be cheaper that warm marine if I can collect them rather than having to buy them :o