Betta Ph

Adrienne

Hello everyone, I was wondering does anyone know the ph level that fighters like the most - my ph is 6 when it comes out the taps and I am wondering if that is too low although all my fighters seem fine and it doesn't stop them spawning.

Thanks for any help you can give.

But to answer the question,

6.8-7.4 is what is recommended http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anaba ... /betta.htm. As mentioned a stable pH is the most important thing though. Someone was asking recently about a betta peat product that supposedly replicates their natural environment, so I assumed they would like it naturally on the acidic side of things

Hi, I'm in Epsom so whatever supply central Auckland is on. I did another ph check today - don't know whats going on! Straight from the tap 7.8 today so checked some of my tanks - 1x ph6, 1x 7.8, 2x 6.4 and fortunately the one housing all my big males at 7.4. I think that seeing as they seem okay I had better not tamper with it.

Thanks anyway.

I think you should check your method of testing pH as the phones at the Council would melt if the pH was 6 because it would corrode all brass fittings and eat the hot water cylinder in a very short time. Chlorine makes the water acid (lowers pH ) as it forms hypochlorus acid with water and as it is removed the pH will rise. Councils try pretty hard to supply water that is slightly alkali to avoid corrosion problems.

Once you start artificially altering pH you will likely be chasing it for ever. I breed killies and don't own a pH testing kit. If I want soft acid water to breed killies I use rainwater with peat. Unless you invest heavily in a good kit they are not very reliable. I have bred thousands of fighters in tap water without a problem. Feeding the fry is the tricky part rather than water conditions.

It sounds like you have it sorted. I used to use a gadget I made to rear the males. It is hard to explain but I will give it a go. I had a tank 600x600x400high and built another tank slightly smaller with straps on the top to suspend it inside the other and leave about 100mm underneath.Put stainless steel mesh on the bottom of the smaller tank and divide it into sections of about 60x60 with glass. You now have a number of small tanks with netting bottoms. Put one male in each and give a water change by lifting the inside tank up and letting it go. Waste falls out the bottom and can be siphoned off. They will develop good finnage this way because they are forever showing off to each other.

Thanks for that. I have the bulk of the young males in a 4ft tank in 11/2 litre bottles with holes and grill like lines down the sides. Have them sitting about 10cm from the bottom of the tank on the undergravel filters which I have raised. Much the same thing - lift the containers and the waste falls out but your way would probably be easier as I have to put a small amount of gravel in the bottles to stop the filters tipping them over.