Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Filter Squashing My Goldfish

Featured Replies

A couple of nights ago when doing a routine water change, I gave my "Elite" filter a good clean also (pulled it all apart etc). I have it positioned on the rear wall, hard up against the right hand side. This is because my air hose hangs down in that corner and the filter holds it in place.

This morning I noticed that one of my fish was missing. When I turned it off I found her totally squashed between the edge of the filter and side glass of the tank.

I have just now come back in and noticed that yet another of my beautiful goldfish is missing. I have found that one totally squashed in the same place.

I have now moved the filter over so that if a fish swims down there, they shouldn't get stuck. But wonder why all of a sudden this has happened?

Do the filters or air bubbles somehow suck the fish down? Has anyone else had this problem? My tank is coldwater and my beautiful fish have been living very happily in there for well over six months. I'm really upset at losing two in one day, because they got squashed.

Thanks

Julie

Mystic, from the sound of it they're not getting sucked into the filter or anything like that.

They're forcing themselves between the body of the filter and the glass.

  • Author

Thanks for your replies. I think you are right Ira, they just seemed to swim in there and then get stuck.

Since moving the filter away from the side, I haven't had any further fatalities, so fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.