Microrasbora sp. Galaxy

penguinleo

There was a thread about these guys a few weeks ago. The new discovered species..

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1060

Well, there are some on sale at Hollywood fish farm in Albany right now. I was looking around today and there were a few new fish which included these guys.

But they are $20.80 each!!! :o Plus they are tiny! Wouldn't be happy if my angel fish gobbled it up! :lol:

Microrasborasp.jpg

And there are some new fish in hollywood fish farm at the moment. That is the one in Albany. I saw:

Skunk cories

Dwarf Sparkling Gouramies

Microrasbora sp. Galaxy

And this really wierd cichlid like fish. Never seen it else where. It is yellow,has a flat compressed body, and looks kind of like a half cichlid half gourami thing.. :) Go and have a look. :D

Royal Whiptails (although they came last week)

I saw the galaxies before Christmas and bought 5 after boxing day. The colours were quite dull when we first got them (stressed) but now they are beautiful - coloring up to be just like the pictures. They are expensive but I really enjoy them and hopefully they will breed. We chose what we beleived to be two males and three females sooo... fingers crossed :)

i dont know if this should be posted on here or in the trade section but jansens botany won't be ordering them weekly as a fish to have regularly in our tanks but is more than happy to do customer orders.

the individual price is quite high but if you go in and talk to jamey or james (me) then we can sort it out at 10 fish for $150.

still expensive but a lot cheaper than buying them at the individual price.

cheers

We sexed the fish by the colours. They were quite dull but you can still see a difference between the males and females. Males are brighter and I think the actual bands of colour are wider and more pronounced. The person who netted them for us was really helpful and picked them really well for us. :)

That Jansens price is reasonable - good deal!

Hi there, do you know where the breeding you mentioned took place? I read they bred in an English Museum, Bristol I think. I have read that they were breeding quite easily in java moss but I don't know if the fry survived as yet. Is this the same attempt you are talking about?

Mel :)

Yup, same fellas that bred the 12mm danionela "world smallest fish". Billaney's pretty much an expert on breeding danios and, well, everything else so he'll prolly be the first in NZ, but I'm gonna give em a go anyways.

Then again, I'll probably take a month to even getting around to it :D

I have some on order and will be happy to give them a go at breeding, though it's only been done once with no viable offspring, so don't hold your breath!

nope there has been quit a few successful breeding records already with the first only couple of weeks after its been on the market.

search and ur get a few forum ppl telling their experience of breeding this fish. i cant seem to find the one i was following but if had pics of different stages. most ppl compare them to be as easily breed as danios.

would love to read that , its online but have to be a member to log in and read it :-?

there is not much to read. here are the sexing and breeding part.

Sexing: Quite simple to sex when the fish are in good condition. Males are brighter coloured and have bright red fins with squiggles of blue-black in the dorsal and anal, and the upper lobes of the caudal fin. The chests of males are also more orangey and they tend to be slimmer. Females are slightly less colourful, with less red and fewer dark squiggles and uncoloured pelvic fins. They have rounder bodies and a slightly paler overall colour. Both sexes have the same chunky appearance seen in Danio choprai and the hump-backed of Microrasbora erythromicron.

Breeding: Pete Liptrot and Paul Dixon of the Bolton Museum Aquarium were the world's first fishkeepers to spawn this species, and they managed to do just a couple of weeks after the fish first became available in the UK. Very little is known about reproduction. Paul says that he observed a brightly-coloured male attempting to drive females into a spawning mop and Pete found seven small eggs in a clump of Java moss a week later and spotted some fry which had already hatched. Said Pete: "The eggs have been laid over Java Moss and appear to be only very slightly adhesive, they drop out of the moss very easily. We've removed the moss to another aquarium to see what else hatches. As we were moving the moss one of the smaller males was very busy hunting around for eggs or fry."