Ammonium

ryanjury

I just tested the tank we've had sitting since we got it a few weeks ago and the ammonium (I presume ammonia) levels are still 6,0 ppm..

It has no fish in it at the moment I was just testing as I had presumed it would be zero as its filled with "live rock" when I got it but its not to be..

What can I do I guess I have to wait for the levels to drop and the live rock to actually be cycled or something like that?

Most of the corals in there are soft corals (they actually came from my tank, I gave them to Tammy). They should be okay but will sulk, if they start to rot/break apart then take them out they wil pollute your tank. The rock in there is cycled, the the tank has been through a few hands and been setup for a while so it shouldn't take too long to come right.

Doing some water changes is a good idea, if your using ASW make sure you make it up at least a day before you use it.

Here's a question: At what level does ammonia become toxic to corals?

The ammonia won't kill corals at that level.

Fish won't last long, but the corals will be fine (as far as the ammonia goes).

..that's not to say they won't be killed by something other than ammonia.

Just give it time. There is nothing you can do, buy, or add to the tank to speed it up.

Layton

Who's back?

Thanks for all the advice out of all the corals soft and hard it seems that only one of the softies is sulking and it was the one that came out in the first day and then went back into hiding a few days after (probably as the ammonia levels went up)

I have been to the beach today and got some water and ill make up some ASW as well and mix it all together and leave it overnight in the 3ft tank with a filter and heater and airstone then test it all tomorrow and do a water change to hopefully get the levels done a bit..

Who's back?

Thanks for all the advice out of all the corals soft and hard it seems that only one of the softies is sulking and it was the one that came out in the first day and then went back into hiding a few days after (probably as the ammonia levels went up)

Unlikely to be the ammonia causing that. DIN invokes feeding response in corals, you're more likely to see them with "amazing polyp extension" in response to increased ammonia, it's just food to them.

So what causes them to sulk? It was out for the first few days but now just sulks all the time..

And how exactly do these guys feed and what do they eat? Also ive noticed a heap of long brown tubes popping up around the place with a circle that looks like it has a mouth in the middle and tenticles around the side what are these guys?