My 4 foot planted tank (progress thread)

Brianemone

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure this is the peice of driftwood that i'll use for my tank. The reason this one got chosen over the others i had was that it sunk fairly quickly and seems to be firmer and also it is a lighter colour so im hoping less tannins will be leached. Its a little less dramatic than i would like but i think i can do something interesting with it untill i come across something truely supuerb.

P1010439.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit of a decision to make. I need lights.

I need decent lights to make the plantsgrow.

I dont want to go overkill

I want something in a fixture that is somewhat pleasant to look at.

Dont want to spend massive amounts on the lights or electricity.

I can get a t5 (4x4") pendant for about 350$ which is not bad for the price but im concerned about the amount of light it will put out. I believe this comes with a stand but im not sure if it can be hung from the ceiling which I would prefer.

Another option would be two 150w halides. I can get basic halides for about 400 including new bulbs, but I they wouldnt look very nice so i would then have to build an enclosure for them which would cost at least 100$

My final option is to buy two 150w halide pendants that can definatly hang from the roof and would look very nice.

I think i would prefer the t5 option but only if it can be hung from the roof. My concern is the amount of light, will it be sufficient for the most demanding plants??

Well that's just over 0.5 watts per litre after driftwood and gravel etc. in the tank. I would aim for 0.7-1 watt per litre. Two halides would be sweet though since they are so bright. You could probably get away with that light, but more would be better in my opinion (especially if you're going all out with the CO2, ferts, etc.). Is there any way you could fit one or two more T5's in the hood thingy, or is that not possible?

Go with the halides 8) With your tank being 60cm tall and 70cm deep you should get just enough cover for the tank to look really good with two of them. I think it's generally 2 square feet per halide, or something around that. I had mine spread over 3 foot and it did the job well, so two would be wicked on yours.

• 1 month later...

Lights, RO/DI and CO2 gear are all ready to go.

Filter is in the country and will be here some time this week.

I will be substrate shopping this week between the frenzied stripping of wall paper and putting up the new stuff. So the tank can go in by weeks end.

I might even manage some water and plants this week

Took a drive last night up to auckland and picked up a nice peice of driftwood from Misnoma and grabbed 2 bags of dark red grit from hollywoods. I will pick up the Daltons Aquatic mix on tuesday night.

We have put up the wall paper where the tank is going so now so all systems are go (other than drilling some quick holes and getting the daltons) I will have it full on tuedsay night or as soon as the RO can process enough water.

The what you spent today thread in the fun forums got me thinking so I figured I'd update the thread with the cost so far, I would have never done this with my marine tank as i think that in its self would have sealed my exit from the hobby all together.

4xDaltons aquatic mix 40$

300W Stainless heater with thermostat 65$

4m Heating cable 55$

20l jerry can 17$

360$ for the RO/DI unit

25kg bags of Grit for substrate 80$

One peice of wood 5$

CO2 gear 120$

New Filter 320$ (atmanuv2400)

Co2 bottle 170$

CO2 reg 150$

4" T5 light pendant 340$

Stand 300$

Tank 600+ (cant remember the exact ammount)

Thats $2622 so far, i'm set for equiptment so far so now its just livestock. This can serve as a warning for those thinking seriously about a decent sized tank, its not only going to be 2 or 3 hundred to do it properly.

Thats a lot of money to spend on a tank! (well from my point of view as a student it is :roll: )

It looks like it will be a stunning planted tank with all that plant-growing-equipment.

And the intention of the RO/DI unit is for breeding soft and acidic-water fish?