Can you have more than one sort of dwarf in a tank?

heather

I have got 2 bolivian rams (1xm, 1xf) in my 4ft amazon tank at the mo. They are the only cichlids in there.

I want to add something else that is intresting and colourful.

Any ideas or suggstions for another sort of dwarf (or something different altogether) or should I just get more bolivians?

You could get keyholes. They grow to about 6-8cm max, and are very friendly and nice cichlids. They are easy to sex aswell, meaning you can easily get a M & F, And they are also easy to breed. Mine have laid eggs before but they didnt go very far in my community!! I have a pair in with angels, kribs, pencilfish, harlequins, guppys, bristlenose, corys etc and they are absolutely fine

HTH

Another option of course are fish of the genus Apistogramma. We have quite a few species available in NZ and they're very pretty and interesting fish. Try doing a google search on A. agassizii, A. cacatuoides, A. panduro. These seem to be the most common at the moment. There are some A. hongsloi, A. viejita and A. macmasteri coming in soon so check them out too.

Apistos look good but I dont like their aggressiveness.

I don't find Apistos that aggressive, In most cases, they are not to bad as long as they have there own territory, and don't put too many species in the one tank. They do squabble a bit, but doesn't often end in harm.... all of my deaths have occurred when trying to breed them, and the male kills the female, or female kills the male. I know some other people have had Horror experiences but it hasn't been like that with my fish.

HTH

Depending on the width of your 4foot tank, i would say maybe 3-4 species, as long as they are all males (so there are no females to get testosterone levels up) and all have there own hiding place... at one stage in my 120x50x50 i had 2x Macmastri, 2x Sp.steel blue, 4 Cockatoos and 1 Trifasciata. Like i say, Hiding places are the key, so they can develop territory's if they desire