Cleaning 1000l tank for auto water change

Duke

Starting to set up a auto water change and got 2 x 1000l tanks which had Alimate in them. This is an enzine which they feed to chickens to help them digest corn better. 1 tank is to pipe to my sump and the other to fill on my trailer and syphin in to the other.

Anyway I have filled the tanks with water and added acid to lift the Ph to 10 to kill any enzine left. The normal Ph is 4-5. Any comments on this?

After a flash the tanks look nice and clean.

I will now fill with salt and let sit for a couple of weeks and refill.

I was thinking of piping a tank to my sump with a solinid and adding a small pump to my sump which will empty my sump to the low level switch and the turn on the soliniod and allow gravity to fill the sump to the normal sump level switch. All done by a push of a button. Dam PLC's are great.

Problem is if the soliniod fails then I will flood my sump with slat water, not to bad but a pain. Not like flooding my sump with fresh water.

The PLC energises an output ( to turn ON the solenoid )

If the solenoid fails it will turn OFF your gravity feed of saltwater to the sump .

Don't really think you have a major issue ( sump will only partially fill )

If you really concerned add some more ladder logic

Just add a timer onto the sump limit switch ( known fill time plus say 3 minutes ) and use this to generate an alarm output ( sound a siren )

The PLC energises an output ( to turn ON the solenoid )

If the solenoid fails it will turn OFF your gravity feed of saltwater to the sump .

Don't really think you have a major issue ( sump will only partially fill )

If you really concerned add some more ladder logic

Just add a timer onto the sump limit switch ( known fill time plus say 3 minutes ) and use this to generate an alarm output ( sound a siren )

Just make sure you get the "always off" ones

I have looked in to solinionds and are having trouble with the salt water application. I use one on my fresh water top up and it has been great. I only have to push a button and my 20l fills to a level swich and fills my sump.

I was thinking of using a standard fresh water soliniod and changing the pin and spring twice a year! and yes it is a normally closed soliniod unless the output jams on then 1000l of salt water will flow in to my sump. What a mess under my house. Good thing is it is a dirt floor. Ask Cookie he thought I had a flash sump room...not.

Looks like I should be able to set up a 40l auto change with the push of a botton using the sump level switches as inputs and 1000l tank soliniod and drain pump as outputs. Drain first and then fill.

If I do two changes a week by then I should get 3 months out of a tank. Cool. Only issuie is it will take 1.5hrs to fill at the beach, must rember to take a beer.