Not Happy

Jasmine

Got glass custom cut for lid for my new tank today, bring it home and guess what? Tank seems to be a lot shorter than advertised! I'd say at least 20 - 30cm shorter! What should I do? I'm not going to be that happy with it now, and I paid money to get some glass for the lid :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the tank off Trade Me.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=79312660

It's not the fact that the lid's too long. It's the fact the tank's too short! Much shorter than what was listed there. I wanted a 140cm tank, not a 110cm one :( I wanted quite a large Malawi tank. I suspected it was a bit shorter than listed, but decided to trust it was okay. However, I wasn't expecting it this much shorter!

Bummer!! Did you pick it up or get it delivered?

It's always a good idea to check what you are buying. I used to get caught regularly for not checking things to find they weren't what was advertised or worse still, - broken. I now check everything I can think of when picking something up. Doesn't mean I still don't get stung, I do have a rather limited think-box so I usually don't think of everything that needs to be checked...

You could always return the tank as it's not what was advertised...

The glass company will likely shorten the glass for you for nothing if you decide to keep the tank.

I picked it up, I just don't have a tape measure so wasn't sure and took her on her word that it was the right size.

How much would I be looking at if I wanted to sell it? And how much approx to get a "real" 140cm tank (or roundabout that length)?

lol yeah i did the same thing bid on a 6ft tank off trademe with fish and gear it turned out to be just on 4ft the lady just guessed 6ft.. I still got it for an ok price and the gear is still in use so yeah not all bad but always pays to confirm and ask if measurements are exact or guesses etc..

Will do so from now on! I feel really stupid now. I wanted at least a 120cm tank, and certainly was after something bigger, 120cm was bare minimum I wanted. I will have to measure it exactly, and probably list it again, do you think it'd go for at least what I got? Or would I be selling at a loss?

I've emailled the lady, let's see what she says.

I agree with warren Ive been stung a couple of times but as long as you learn from it then hopefully ya chances of it happening again are pretty slim.

You could poss make a quick buck on it, ive seen 60cm tanks sell for more than $50 so if you do decide its not for you it could be worth a try to resell it, just stick the reserve at what you paid for it atleast. As for getting a bigger tank it will cost more obviously but deals do pop up on tm from time to time so just got to be patient which is easier said than done!!

Start saving that pay and maybe you should keep the tank you just got as a spare, if your anything like me youll be wanting more tanks in no time lol but then I suppose not all suffer from mts but it sure can become an addiction this fish keeping :lol: :lol:

p.s so where are your fish now (in the bath?) or are you going to buy them once you get the tank??

Mincie - I don't have any fish at the moment. I sold my community tank with the sole purpose of setting up a cichlid tank. Was going to get tank all set up first. I can't really keep it cause though it's not big enough for what I want, two tanks wouldn't fit well in my lil place! I'd have nowhere to put it really. As much as I'd love more tanks, just don't have the time, space or money.

I've contacted the person selling, no response as of yet, but I'm probably just impatient as it's only the second day.

I've decided I might just keep the tank and use it, if it is about 110cm when I measure it. Maybe get a bigger tank if I get too many fish last on next year. I guess it'd be cheaper buying a canister filter/light/etc.

Yeah "bummer dude"

I just bought a 4footer for $40 and i thought it was a good price, new through a 'tank make' you'd be looking at about $100

Justa thought.... have a hunt around see if you have got some old bits and pieces, heaters, maybe a old filter, resurect them, make sure they all go, thriow in a $7.00 bag of daltons propogating sand, put a few plants in. and sell it as a going lot!!

Probably make money on it!

I just sold all my spare bits and pieces to my grandmother, as was going to start afresh. I wasn't expecting this! Would've had a couple of small heaters and a sponge filter too...Was more my breeding stuff (included a couple of small tanks etc). I've still got the light though, but that'd be far too small for this tank. LOL.

Just measure it, it's 104cm long. She obviously got confused on her auction and put 1.4metres. okay, that's fine. However, she did not reply to my email. Instead she replied to my feedback I placed on her (when I placed feedback I said I would edit it if she came back to me with some sort of arrangement) with

I only received an email on 20 December sfter the sale was completed on 4 Dec. When they picked up the tank they were very happy but perhaps the lid was ordered without checking dimensions themselves. I am sorry for your trouble but I feel it is out of my hands when you have had the item for almost 2 weeks without any correspondence.

So obviously according to them, it was my fault for not checking the dimensions, and they're saying I shouldn't have trusted whatever the auction says. Ah well.