Killing algae before moving plants to new tank?

jn

Is there any way to do this?

I need to take cuttings from plants in my pond to supply my new tank.

I've read plants can handle some bleach if they are extremly well rinsed afterwards (1 part bleach to 19 parts water) although it does say plants may sufer some as well

I do have some algaefix though. Should I just use some of that with the required plants in a bucket? Is the stuff strong enough to really eradicate everything?

Algae in a pond isn't a real bad thing.. puts a nice green coat on the sides and softens anything ugly.. but in an aquarium I know I'll be dealing with a whole other beast!!

There are a few ways to do it. My favourite would have to be Potassium permanganate. Make up a nice pinky mixture in a bucket, and leave the plants in for about half an hour. Bleach does work aswell (at that dose you said) but plants can die from it. You only need to keep plants in bleach for about 2-3mins i think. You can also leave them in the dark for a week or so i think, but i have never done that before... Cant realy think of another way of doing it ATM so hope thats useful to ya

I use Alumnium Sulphate available from Garden centers and Mitre 10, bunnings etc... $7 per 500g bag

Add 2- 3 table spoons to a bucket ( 10l) of water,Physically remove 'excess' algae, put plants in solution, put in a cupboard over night ( 24hrs ish ?) kills everything! Except the plants. I do this on tropicals, so cold water plants should be hardy enough!

Aluminum Sulphate is also known as "Alum" or (I think!) "Hydrangea Blue"

Excellent guys. Thanks again.

I'll make a few stops and see what I find first.

I might actually have some Condy's crystals!!

Wouldn't that be convenient! I'll save my algae fix for desperate situations in the pond (especially at the price they charge for it!)

Yup.. definitely realise that.

Just want to make sure the algae doesn't start with an unfair advantage :-?

I don't really need to add any to the tank. I'm sure it will arrive without any extra help!! :evil:

My partner is having nigthmares about my 'new hobby' turning into a yellow-watered slimy green coated mess. I need to prove him wrong so I can get a bigger tank!

(I haven't even set up a single tank yet and I ALREADY want a bigger one!!! Sad sad sad....)

I do have some algaefix though. Should I just use some of that with the required plants in a bucket? Is the stuff strong enough to really eradicate everything?

just set the tank up with the plants u wanted after u physically remove as much of the algae as u can then just dose the tank with algaefix.

ur tank should turn cloudy for 3-4 days then after that do 30% water change with cured water at the same time syphoning out any dead algae. let it sit for a week before u add any fish [no tank should be without an BN]. as long as u keep ur conditions right u shouldn't have any problem with algae.

things to look out for in case u dont already know remember to have ur filter running the whole time and make sure u take the carbon/carbon sponge out before u dose. set the tank up where it gets no direct sunlight.

Yup. Tank will be in a spot without sun (Maybe a half hour early in the morning.. I'm never awake early enough to know for sure!).

Will definitely run with the filter 24/7 and did intend to leave it setup for a week prior to light stocking. Got driftwood and washed pebbles/gravel from the beach so want to make sure the pH stays stable before adding fish. Might use my 2 very very little goldfish from outdoors to help cycle it and then get a whole 5-6 WCMM's (goldies will go back outdoors).

Will a BN handle a really cold tank? I'm in chch and the tank wil be in a room that doesn't get much heat (older house.. imagine breath condensing on a cold morning!!). I was planning on going without one until the worst of next winter to see how cold the tank will get if left to its own devices. I know I could buy a heater but I'm determined to go it cold!!

Ok. So maybe I'll use the algae fix for the initial setup and I'll use the other methods to do future plant transfers. (I suppose the PPM would also kill parasites or snals if I ever had a problem with them in one environment or the other?)

Will a BN handle a really cold tank? I'm in chch and the tank wil be in a room that doesn't get much heat (older house.. imagine breath condensing on a cold morning!!). I was planning on going without one until the worst of next winter to see how cold the tank will get if left to its own devices. I know I could buy a heater but I'm determined to go it cold!!

ouh sorry didnt realize its goin to be a cold water tank. no BN is strictly tropical despite what a lot of ppl say, they will survive in room temperature for a while but sooner or later...... :-?