changing filters

farmchick

Hi all

I dont know if this is in the right section or not.

I have a bigger, better, newer, shinier cannister filter that I am wanting to put on my Malawi tank :lol: :lol:

What do I need to do to make sure Im not going to upset the tenants? The 2 filters are different in design, so the media isnt going to fit into a nice little slots. Can I just jam some of the old media into the new filter and assume relative safety for Mr Malawi and friends??

If you run both filters together for a while you can. If you added the noodles from the old filter & added these to the new filter, it would jump start the new filter. The problem is there is only ever enough bacteria for the load available in the tank. So if you ever removed the old filter after running the new filter for say a few weeks, then you have a reduction of bacteria & risk a spike anyway.

Frenchy :D

If you run both filters together for a while you can. If you added the noodles from the old filter & added these to the new filter, it would jump start the new filter. The problem is there is only ever enough bacteria for the load available in the tank. So if you ever removed the old filter after running the new filter for say a few weeks, then you have a reduction of bacteria & risk a spike anyway.

Frenchy :D

Good point... I'll be adding a new one myself to run in paralell for a while still to decide whether to leave 750L/hr + new 2200 L/hr both on tank together long term... for around 400 litre all up its fairly heavily stocked.

Its pretty well been covered but just something else to consider...

You could also do the water changes slightly less frequently to give the bactria a bit more to feed on to develop the colony. If you do your changes weekly maybe put it out to 10 days ( not like 3 weeks :o )

Also once you decommision the original filter, perhaps leave it a few days to grow more bactria before doing a water change. If in doubt you can always do a water change to take the load off if it doesnt appear to be coping.

Thats pretty much how i did it, and didnt transfer any media from the old to the new. As a time line it went something like this:

Day 0: Water change + add new filter ( usually do 60L out of 220)

Day 10: water change

Day14: decommission old filter

Day 17: small water change (30ish Liters)

day 21: small water change - to get back to my 'water change day'

Hope that helps.

Its pretty well been covered but just something else to consider...

You could also do the water changes slightly less frequently to give the bactria a bit more to feed on to develop the colony. If you do your changes weekly maybe put it out to 10 days ( not like 3 weeks :o )

Also once you decommision the original filter, perhaps leave it a few days to grow more bactria before doing a water change. If in doubt you can always do a water change to take the load off if it doesnt appear to be coping.

Thats pretty much how i did it, and didnt transfer any media from the old to the new. As a time line it went something like this:

Day 0: Water change + add new filter ( usually do 60L out of 220)

Day 10: water change

Day14: decommission old filter

Day 17: small water change (30ish Liters)

day 21: small water change - to get back to my 'water change day'

Hope that helps.

certainly does help :D thanks for that

I'm a bit late on this topic, but what I do (and it has always worked for me), is take one or more handfuls of gravel from the top of a well circulated area, and mix it in with the new noodles.

Taking a handful of bio-noodles out of the old one would do the same.

Never lost any fish doing it this way, from platy fry to oscars, and on brand new tanks with brand new gravel etc. I've used this technique with all kinds of filters including all-in-one tanks, external canisters and hang on the back filters, but can be a PITA with most internals.

Some of my filters still have the gravel in them, as I use it as backup ceramic noodles sometimes when I dont have any spare. The small (probably unmreasurable) ammonia spike that occurs allows the good bacteria to multiply like crazy. Note not to feed them heaps for the first week though (but make sure to feed them something because you need that ammonia to feed the bacteria!!). Putting the gravel in the filter itself is a lot more effective than the old 'place a bag in the tank' method.