no bbs yet.....

ludimac

hi all. some of you may remember i had some angel fry hatch the other day and i've been running round like a headless chicken trying to get them some bbs. well the crappy "shrimpery" the LFS sold me has been set up for 2 and a bit days(since saturday night) and on advice from this forum i got hubby to build a hatchery from a coke bottle,it is aerated, and it's been set up for 1 and a bit days(since sunday night). i turned aeration off this morning and when the water settled is was clear at the bottom. there is no movement yet from the LFS hatchery, which has no aeration. just wondering if this is normal? and if by some freaky chance some have hatched, how long is too long to leave them in the hatchery? i have searched all over web and it looks like i'm doing it right but just no bbs!!!! i have been giving fry teeny tiny bits of Novo Baby by JBL but it's so hard to tell if they're actually getting any. please help me and my fry!

Hope this is not stupid.

Did you use salt water.

I've seen newbees try the fresh, it doesn't work.

Another thing is that the viability if eggs from the LFS isn't always what it should be. In fact some times they are completely useless due to the way they have been store, and for the cost of them, not good enough.

By the way, where is Balfour??

Alan 104

i used salt water. the LFS said it was ok to use tonic salt. i just checked and there seems to be a wee few hanging in the middle but not as many as photos i have seen. whereas the top of the water is covered in eggs or whatever it is. i have no idea how to tell if the eggs are viable. it's a 25gm box from Aqua Chem, that cost me 45 bux. i'll be pissed if the eggs aren't viable. they were just sitting on the shelf in the shop.

I have said before Alan, balfour is in the middle of nowhere between gore and queenstown. i live on a dairy farm with (big breath) hubby, 4 kids, 520 cows, 25 calves, pair of quakers(birds), pair of ringnecks(birds), a rabbit named chooch, a rainbow lori named Nemo, a pair of black masked lovebirds, 2 cats(tabby and skittles), 2 dogs(joe and mack), 1 plec(charlie),15 neons, 3 angelfish, 1 red tipped shark, guppies, platies, mollies, 2 corydoras, 2 zebra danios, one swordtail and 2 clown loaches(yin and yang). i don't think i left anybody out.

My Goodness! Thats a lot to say in one breath. I don't think I could even say all that.

If you are ever after more fish drop me a line as I do ship NZ wide.

One thing I have to ask is.... is the shrimp hatchery heated?I know that if its heated you will have movement with in 24 hrs in the right conditions.

With this many people popping up in the south I might have to look at setting up an anual bbq for the fnzas members of the greater south. Sorry I can't help you with the bbs area but you could try trademe and get the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. I know it cost a bit more but you will only be needing a small amount at a time.

Cheers

thanks Penejane...i'll definately keep you in mind. the closest LFS is East road pets in Invers and that's still an hour away so shooting off to the shop is a whole day job. what sort of fish do you sell? do you have a list somewhere? back to the bbs..i used a 100w light bulb for a while but it kept overheating and switching off so now no heat. i suppose i'll just do some more waiting.

yes a 100wtt bulb will be way to hot. Try a frosted 25wtt if possible. Thats what I have in my setup which I will show you.

122.jpg

121.jpg

This holds two coke bottles upside down with a bulb in the middle. Having a low watt bulb keeps the water warm and being inside the box it works even better.

They need heat in order to hatch. If you over cooked them with the 100wt bulb then I suggest you start another batch (someone correct me if wrong) as they might be stuffed now.

As for the fish. I order in what ever you want if its available on my list. I know that east rd's is your only option and I am hoping to change that next year in april/may. So if you are ever after anything just let me know and as I said I am happy to ship at your expence/risk. Could also get same day courier sorted for being so close.

Cheers

well i have had a successful hatching...wooooo hooooo. i put eggs and water in coke bottle and floated in my main tank, and have got bbs. i am annoyed at LFS for selling me other hatchery but i will try it with different eggs. surely LFS should know what works and what is crap. oh well, lesson learnt.

• 3 weeks later...