Pouring in the Mag Ch and baking soda

skuzza

I started adding 6 table spoons a day mag chloride about 3 months ago which brought the mag to 1220.

I am now up to 15 table spoons a day and the mag is 1200 and not climbing.

Dont realy want to over dose, starting to think i have a dud bag. Anyone else having this problem.

Also adding 1 KG of baking soda a week to maintain a KH of 8.

Calcium ok but the MAG and KH just wont rise. Getting a bit sick of mixing and adding 30 ltrs of RO + supplement a day.

Cant be a leak i only add ro and supplements through a home made drip system. I hear what your saying about the amont and i just cant figure it out. Its almost like they are cancelling each other out.

If i miss a few days it just drops right down to 1100 mag and 5 kh.

Its got me stumped.

Starting to think my mag an absorber not a raiser :-?

Best way to test this situation is to do the following.

1: Take a test reading of alk

2: Take a test reading of MG

3: Take a test reading of Ca

If all low then add the following directly to the overflow:

4: Add 2 x baking cups of straight MG chloride

5: Wait one hour and add 6 tablespoons of BS

6: Wait one hour and add 2 x baking cups Ca.

(All straight down the overflow as raw powder)

RE TEST 36 HOURS LATER AND POST RESULTS.

Should raise ALK by about 4

Should raise Ca by about 60

Should raise MG by about 60

If it hasnt changed to aroung these levels, then your test kits have to be faulty.

1kg per week BS....holy moly, something is wrong there dude. I know you have a big tank, but that is a lot

Rubbish! Have a look at how much Mg you need to put in in order to raise Mag by 100ppm. For a 1,000 litre tank, you need just under 1kg and his tank is almost double that size. How do you know how much Mg skuzza's tank consumes per week?

My tank consumed HEAPS of Mg. Wasn't quite sure it was right so tested with 2 different Salifert test kits just to be sure! That included some Mg chips in the reactor too which didnt quite sustain how much was used up. Of course now that there are stuff-all corals in there... :x

Sorry for the delay. Went to the LPS to see my mate and did some tests with his kits just to compare with mine.

My salifert kH = 8.0 LPS salifert = 8.0

My salifert MG = 1220 LPS salifert = 1300 also there JBL = 1320

My salifert CA = 460 LPS salifert = 360 also there JBL = 310

Its looks like i could not see the trees for the forest. The CA was to low as this would explain the slowing growth rate.

But does this cause the other 2 to not rise ?

And of corse the MG was out but as much as i was hoping.

I usually test mine just before dosing.

Actually I do it straight after the weekly water change, each monday, as the NSW I use may vary. There is a calcium reactor so levels are normally about right but if it's out I dose the required amount, and forget about it till the next water change.

If you want to test afterwards you don't have to wait too long a few minutes is enough.