Cracked tank!

JackJackJack

i woke up at 3.30 this morning to a loud CRACK! it was my 60x30x30

after clening up and emptying the damage is a 25cm crack in the back glass running from the top at a 45 degree angle.

now my question is how to salvage this tank. i dont have much money so the cheaper the better!

can i just use aquarium silicon on the crack or do i have to remove the back panel and get a new piece of glass fitted and silicon it in?

thanks for your help

p.s. thank god there were no fish in there, i was just cycling the tank, fish were due to be put in this afternoon!

Ira is right get a secondhand replacement or even new cheap.

If you want to fix go to a glazier, some will cut a replacement and glue it in. won't cost to much.

Or go to a house demolition place, buy a piece of glass and cut it yourself. have to buy silicon and a glass cutter, but is fun if DIY interests you.

Do Not try and repair the cracked glass, also there must be a reason for a tank to crack, the glass may be stressesd somehow, check the new piece of glass fits well the tank is level and on a flat surface.

dunno if I should talk to you after what your cricketers did to us last night.

Keep that tank as a q tank.

Just get a piece of glass and glue over the crack.

In other words put a patch on it.

Make sure the glue is cleaned along the bottom join so the new silicon can seal it properly

Alan

yeah i read that earlier, one positive that has come out of this is discovering the information that i have! so come next weeks paycheck i'll be making a trip to the glazer and getting some glass to make my first tank. what is a good starting size to make? i was thinking a 2' or 3', or should i aim smaller at first?

Two footer mate

They are a good size for when you REALLY get the disease and suit a huge range of fish

Remember to take off the sharp edges, they're like razors.

The cuts can be horrific

I use an axe spit-stone to rub them off.

This is a disc shaped emery stone

about 75mm across and 20mm thick.

Do it with running water flowing over the action,

lubricates and stops flying splinters,

you could wear safety glasses too.

Alan