Mandarin eating frozen mysis!

JDM

fed my tank frozen mysis tonight, just as a treat.

stood watching the fish go nuts over it, then out came my mandarin, at first i think he just wanted to be part of the action but then i noticed him chase a piece of food, the i watched him as he ate it and continued to chase and eat more. :o

i was so shocked that he was eating it i didn't even think to grab the camera, but i will have it handy next time i feed frozen.

dose anyone else have a mandarin that eats frozen or flake?

could this mean he is running out of pods and the like? or could he be just experimenting?

Don't see much of mine will come out sometimes but mainly spends time in and about the back of the rocks. He does have a place he sleeps in the corner of the tank bottom at the back if I want to check on him I just look there in the evening and he is in bed :lol:

OK, so this is not unusal, why is it then, that people say we need an established tank when they will accecpt brine, mysis and pellets!!!! :roll:

I think it's the exception to the rule. What were not seeing here is all the people who've lost a mandarin due to not having an established tank. Being so cheap and so beautiful is the major issue with these fish. LFS always sells out, yet not many people have them for very long. Saw a recent reefcentral poll on survival rates, and it's pretty poor.

I don't own one yet for that very reason. Every night after the lights go out I've got the torch out, chanting "go pods, GO!". Almost there, can't wait!

I think it's the exception to the rule. What were not seeing here is all the people who've lost a mandarin due to not having an established tank. Being so cheap and so beautiful is the major issue with these fish. LFS always sells out, yet not many people have them for very long. Saw a recent reefcentral poll on survival rates, and it's pretty poor.

I don't own one yet for that very reason. Every night after the lights go out I've got the torch out, chanting "go pods, GO!". Almost there, can't wait!

Good post!

Yeah very true.

Don't fall in to the trap of buying one to early.

I should of added mine only ate live food up untill about a year ago.