Help..a house move ([incl 143 litre tank]

Talula

We are moving house (from a West Auckland address to another West Auckland address) on the 9th Dec and need advice please. We have a tropical marine tank with 6 fish, no corals. We realise that we are going to have to break the tank down and re-set it up and that will mean dumping the water, keeping the rock and sand submerged, setting it up and recycling the whole thing again. Does anyone know what we should do with our fishies in the interim? Is there anyone out there that could possibly 'board' them for a few weeks perhaps? Is there a easy way of moving a tank?

All advice gratefully received.

Talula

Here’s my 2 cents :D

don’t dump the water, get some clean drums from somewhere to transport as much of the water as possible, get one or two of the large plastic containers with lids and rollers from the warehouse (about $13ech) and put rocks and water in there, this will also double as a holding tank while you move the tank and stand (just put one of your heaters in the container with the rock and fish when you arrive at your new house) bag the fish like the pet shop dose and when you arrive at your new house you can release them into the container with the heater and you now have ages to set up everything.

if the rock is kept damp you will not need to re-cycle the tank, if you cannot take all the water with you, have some salt mix ready and add the new water last, once everything is back in the tank, this will save the need for acclimatising the fish.

Good luck, it’s not as hard as you first think. :wink:

Hey Talula

JDM and Bubbles are bang on with their advice. I moved a 170 litre reef tank from Howick to Kerikeri, then again in Kerikeri and then moved my new 370 litre tank in Kerikeri to my house once it was built.

Keep as much water as you can, say 60% of it. Top up the rest with new water (enforced water change). My rock I put into poly boxes, and covered with a few layers of newspaper wetted down with tank water. Fish into bags. Left the sand in bottom of the tank with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. Not convinced about the idea of keeping a heater in the bucket with the rock. At this time of year the temp drop shouldn't be too bad and you risk smashing your heater!

Cant recall if you mentioned your filter or whether you have a sump. If it is a canister filter, keep the water in it. Also mind your fish dont hide in holes in the rock as you take it out. They are quite good at doing that - particularly blennies. Check each bit carefully as you take it out as it is a pain once you have removed about 35kg of rock and have a fish missing! Then you have to go through it all again in a hurry. If you are lucky the fish will fall out of its hole in time for you to put it back in some water :-?

What Bubbles said about the time is dead right. My last move I moved my whole house on the Saturday in daylight hours and moved my tank on the Sunday 7.00am to 11.00pm by the time I finished and had everyone swimming around:o

Last bit of advice - dedicate time in the move just for the tank. ie move the tank last of all. Just make sure you leave a space free of boxes in the new house for the tank. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Cheers

Skippy

..for all the advice. The key obviously is to have plenty of containers and save as much water as possible. My only concern is how long it will take to get set up again. Will the fish be okay in a container of just water with a filter and perhaps the heater for 2 hours? The tank and its move is my only focus come moving day ... until I have the fish all home and happy :)

Will the fish be okay in a container of just water with a filter and perhaps the heater for 2 hours?

Should be fine, unless you're keeping something odd. I'm thinking boxfish etc that leach toxins if stressed.

These moves tend to be more stressful to the owner than to the livestock. I've had a FO tank go 4 days without power, and pull through just fine.

Just take your time, be prepared, and you'll be fine.

Bubs!

Living in Kerikeri and buying fish in (mainly) Auckland means that they spend at least 4 hours in a plastic bag in a poly box. Haven't lost anything in transit yet.

When I moved from Auckland they spent at least 8 hours in bags by the time in put them in there, dismantled the tank, travelled, reassmbled and got the tank running and got them back in the water. Actually it was probably closer to 10 hours.

If you think about it, they spend a lot of time in bags, etc when they are imported. Two hours will be no sweat - even without the filter and heater (again temperature at the moment means you probably don't even need the heater)

Hey one thing about what Drifty suggested re the 80 litre bins. Just remember that 80 litre bins full of water are gonna be bloody heavy!. If you are seriously into fishies, invest in some 20 litre carboys (square plastic containers, strong as, and have a screw top cap). You wont regret them.

Skippy

Estimate how much time you think it's going to take, then double it :D

I second that. My 180L took me 8 hours! and yes fish can last in bags for at least 4 hours without oxygen pumped in :P All the above is excellent advise to go by. I wish I had larger water carrying devices and not lots of fish bags and polyboxes