Filter virgin... Help!

Gatito

Hey guys, i've had bettas and BN's for a while now, and didn't bother with a proper filter (just airation stone on the pump) :oops:

Yesterday i went out and got some rosy tetras, a red spot pleco and a couple of clown loaches. With the new additions, i decided to finally get my stuff together, and got a filter and the pH, nitrite and ammonia test kits.

Test results were fine, but it's been about 24hours since the filter got put in, and just over half of the white spongy part has gone yucky and brownish, from the bottom.

Is this just because my possibly dirty dirty tank is finally getting cleaned up? Or do they normally accumulate grime this quickly?

Also, when should I replace the cartridge (bit with the white sponge and charcoal-looking things)?

Thanks!!

First up, you really need a gravel vac, they only cost $10-20 max. Once every week you hook them to a hose, and syphon out 20% of the water, doing this will keep your gravel clean-ish and stop any major build ups of nitrate or phosphate etc. Great to hear your ammonia and nitrite is 0 :D

Generally replacing the filter medium is a very bad idea as thats where your beneficial bacteria will build up.

For normal electric pumps, you will only need to rinse it (in spare tank water, or luke warm tap water) when you notice the filter slows down a lot and has really clogged itself up - normally once a month or maybe 2 weeks depending on the size (assuming its hang on the back or internal), larger externals 3 months to never.

For undergravel filters (air powered, sit underneath the gravel) that have those little caps you put cotton wool and carbon in, you can replace that as often as you want, as your bacteria will 99% be in your gravel. However you dont need to until it clogs up (e.g. air starts bubbling through the gravel instead out of the funnel).

For air powered corner filters, the same applies as the normal elecs, dont replace, only rinse and only do so with warm water, and you only need to do it when it gets clogged (and it'll look real gross).

If you are replacing carbon (the black stuff) then you are supposed to do this every 30 days, however if you have to replace both the carbon and wool (not one or the other) then just leave it. Remember to remove the carbon whenever medicating the tank.

Clown loaches are very sensitive, watch out for white spot very closely.

Redspot Plecos grow huge (50-60cm) although they slow down in growth when they hit 15-20cm usually. Keep that in mind, bristlenose are really the best for algae control as they stay small :)

Hope that helps?

Great, thanks a lot, shall have to look into a gravel vac.

I'm familiar with the plecos growth - waitied til i was prepared to grow with it befor i got this one :D . But thanks for the tips on the filters and clown loaches, much appreciated.

Have a good day, Jo.

If your going to leave an filter till it virtually clogs up then it isnt really working very well at that time

To keep it working at its peak keeping it flowing properly is a must

Also never ever use tap water to clean biological media as your killing the bacteria

A good gravel vac is amust for keeping the tank clean as well

What sizetank do you have?

And what filter are you running

Yeah the difference in temp will affect the bacteria as well

I cant see why people dont have a bucket and just siphon some water out of the tank while they are doin water changes and use that water to clean the filter media

So simple and no chance of accidently killing that bectaria

Brad