Oranda's wen stuck in filter inlet pipe

radu

Well I had an accident today because I had left the inlet pipe top off my tank filter while cleaning the tank and my oranda's wen got caught in the inlet pipe. I managed to get him out but he now has a small hole/dent in his head. It did bled slightly and in fact he looks slightly bruised very close to his eye, but he seems fine, his dorsal fin is still erect and he seems okay. Have been told to dab a small amount of Methylene blue on his wound but when I got to the pet shop they could only offer me something by Wunder called tonic. The question I have is:

Can I use what they sold me as it does not seem to be just Methylene blue it's ingredients are: 1.5% methylene blue, 0.1% malachite green, 0.05% acriflavine, 0.04% quinine in aqueous solution. The instructions say 1 ml per 20 liitres.

thanks

melafix helps with wounds but i am unsure if its ok to use with orandas. extra clean water heals wounds up wonderfully if the fish is healthy so you dont have to use meds.

tonic is an all round med- it will keep the wound clean but im not sure if it should be applied topically like meth blue would be-probably better wait for someone on that one. Wunder dose make plain meth blue so perhaps its worth ringing a few other shops to find it if the Tonic wont be ok?

melafix helps with wounds but i am unsure if its ok to use with orandas. extra clean water heals wounds up wonderfully if the fish is healthy so you dont have to use meds.

tonic is an all round med- it will keep the wound clean but im not sure if it should be applied topically like meth blue would be-probably better wait for someone on that one. Wunder dose make plain meth blue so perhaps its worth ringing a few other shops to find it if the Tonic wont be ok?

yep, dont bother with anything else just VERY clean water and dose with Melafix, do frequent water change everyday if u can and remember to redoes with melafix for the amount of water ur putting back in.

goldfish are very fast healers and will be back it its old self in a week.

Hi

Well, I did decide to wait for the meth blue, tried another petshop the next day and they had it. I was told by Animates young staff member that it was illegal to get meth blue by itself so that is all I could buy over the counter. I questioned that as soon as she told me as I have always tried to avoide going to animates as they all seem to know nothing and are just there to fill in time. Went in yesterday took the tonic back and told the girl that what she had told me was wrong. The water I have my fish in has a uv sterilser so the water is always super clean and I do water changes regularly. Water is crystal clear, Oranda seems okay can't belive it. Truth, be told I was probably more shaken up by the whole thing than he was!! I dabbed a small amount of meth blue on his head yesterday as he does have a small hole there in the wen but his wen is so big I guess it protected anything major being hurt. He is still slightly red in parts and the pipe got very close to his eye (the only eye he can see out of as the other is pretty much covered with his wen). He is looking healthy eating and happy, thanks for all your help. Have decided to let him heal from this point naturally and only do that single dose of meth blue on his head and keep an eye on him. Was told that if he was going to die he would have done it in the first hour of having the accident. As for my other oranda he is sitting at the top of my tank unwell and now very round. I have given him peas and tried to insert a small grain of empsom salts in case its constipation as I don't think this is dropsy. Can anyone shed any light on what I am dealing with here?? I had a fish breeder check him out the other day only symptoms then were fish staying at the top of the water level for long periods otherwise he would swim around fine. This must be something internal as he has now become swollen.