Betta Pricing

SilverBlade86

How much do Betta's go for? I'm looking for a ... male maybe, or female. I've read that females look nearly as good as males, is that true?

Anyways, I wonder how much a nice one would cost over here in Chch. Any ideas?

Of course if any member would like to ship one over, drop me a PM. Provided I could afford it of course. :wink:

Males look better by far IMO especially if they have long tails, but females look alright too (short tailed but colourful) :D

See them in the shops for about 10-20 dollars, more for crowntails, and half moons. Gotta say theres better selection up North for the more exotic varieties, when I was down South, it was as hard as heck to get a female. You could always try Trademe :lol:

Hope that helps.

hi there.....some female fighters are beautiful...I had an awesome tank with a brilliant pink girl and an almost neon blue one.....but the boys by far are the most handsome...generally they are very well priced for such a gorgeous fish. Animates sell the boys for about $13.95..... Critter Kingdom on Blenheim Road sell them for up to $20 and (my opinion) they are nowhere near the fish that animates have although I have managed to get some awesome female fish from that store (if there is none in the shop ask the man cos he breeds his own out the back) Pet World on Ferry Road sometimes have fighters...both sexes...females seem to be hard to come by. It is also well worth a visit to Redwood Aquatics.....they tend to not have a lot of fish on display but I think there turn over must be quite high because often if you ask about other stock they will tell you if they have what you want in quarantine and when they will be available.....I bought a 'girl' there once...but she turned out to be a boy!!! those plaket fighters sure can fool you cos of the spade like tail!

I have 3 awesome females right now....2 are from one of our own spawnings....and one I bought from Christchurch....think it was the critter kingdom store. (I don't live in Christchurch) anyway...the females can go from around $8 to $13.....Ferry Road and Blenheim Road tend to have their males in those horrible little jar things under lights and the fish look terrible and miserable.....animates usually have them in the tanks...sometimes in breeders but often swimming free. Both Moorhouse Ave and Blenheim Road animates are worth a look...I have got to say that animates tanks generally are by far the cleanest and healthiest looking....some tanks really put you off buying.

Hi i have a tank full of young bettas here

bettas.jpg

mum and dad are the two fish at the top left and top center. Mum is the white one in the middle. All the babies are colouring up to be like dad but i think there are some long fin babies coming through. they are all too young to be sexed but will be cheaper than the pet shops.

pm or email if interested.

Hi! I think the female fighters have great personalities more so then the males. I have my two females in a community tank and they are very funny, they will jump for food, follow your finger and even jumped the barrier into the males quarters and spawned with him one weekend when I was away. My purple female is obssessed with my blue male and will move the floating breeding trap next to his tank divider just to be able to see him. The males are very pretty but the girls equal this with their personalities in my opinion :)

Mel

Picture175.jpg

Hi there MLF! At the moment the babies are not quite big enough to sex especially for females. There are a few males standing out now though.

A certain pet shop here in Chch has offered to buy the whole lot off me and grow them out and i have accepted their offer. I have not got the space to grow them out so it was a total blessing when i recieved the offer. (i was NEVER expecting to raise 550 fry so successfully) I am in the proccess of selecting my pick of the spawn and then they will all move to their new home.

Luckily before Loopy sells it, I have the honour of picking one or two or maybe three for myself. :)

On a side note, I went a certain unnamed and asked for the price of a big piece of driftwood. Around 1.5 feet tall and long. They told me it was worth $60. :o

Thats not normal pricing now is it? Maybe I gotta go find some of my own driftwood somewhere.

I would have thought that cheap silverblade as I have seen horrendous prices on small, ugly bits of wood. Go for a picnic to Hokitika near the mouth of the river. You will find lovely waterlogged rata and rimu washed down from the forest. Ideal for aquariums. I use it a lot in my own tanks.

Yeah, but if I recall thats all the way in Westport isnt it? Bit of a drive down for me, I was hoping to find some over here in Chch. 8)

It will be a great experience anyways, I've got practically nothing to do during the upcoming hols. So anyone got any secret spots where I could find some big driftwood?

Of course, if your son is coming down again.... :wink: