regarding these Fizzy ball (air pump)

philosophy king

If it is the air stone, they're good for fish cos it agitates the water's surface and allows oxygen and carbon dioxide transfer. Not so good for plants cos they need CO2.

The CO2 in the air will be higher than the CO2 in the water unless its injected. No surface adgitation will eventually lead to no CO2 in the water at all (as the plants convert it to oxygen).

Unless you have a hardcore lighting system with CO2 injection, an air pump being used to disturb the water surface is 100% beneficial. It'll increase O2 AND CO2 in the water, which encourages plant growth, helps the fish breathe, and encourages more aerobic (sp?) bacteria which helps prevent the tank from going horrid.

So. generally speaking. they are harmful to my plants but good for the fishes right? but in what degree it is harmful to the plant? do u recommend i should stop using it?(i've got moderate amount of plants,40% of my tank is green).

thanks heaps!

Definately DO NOT stop using the air pump, if you have a filter that disturbs the surface then you don't need the air pump, but it will definately NOT harm anything in the aquarium. Something that disturbs the surface of the water and/or promotes water circulation is a must have especially for heated tanks.

The CO2 in the air will be higher than the CO2 in the water unless its injected. No surface adgitation will eventually lead to no CO2 in the water at all (as the plants convert it to oxygen).

Hey Spiderweb, you make a good point there, but theres something I don't quite understand...

So when you agitate water, Oxygen levels in the water reach good saturation level, and you get gas exchange which makes the gas amounts in the water similar to atmospheric conditions, which is great for fish esp those that needs good oxygen saturaion levels.

But in a planted tank with no agitation where you're trying to maximise the saturation of carbon dioxide in the tank, respiration will reduce oxygen levels but create more CO2 in the tank, whereas nitrogen levels stay pretty much the same. So if you don't agitate the water isn't that going to be a optimum environment for plants?

And if you're injecting CO2 into the tank in the hope of increasing CO2 level underwater, won't surface agitation reduce that to normal atmospheric amounts?

Anyways, Im definately no means an expert on gas exchange, but thats how it was going through in my head. If you could shed some light on this I'd be a happy man :D

Nobody has mentioned an important (I think) aspect of air bubble balls or rods and that is that not only to they agitate the water surface BUT the fish LOVE to play in the bubbles - I often see the neons and especially the catfish tumbling around in the bubbles, it's very entertaining.

In a planted tank you are looking for calmer conditions, as oxygen displaces CO2, in a well airated tank the CO2 will be pushed out into the air.

In terms of actual values of air pumps and things - I'd guess its only a problem if you notice your fish breathing at the surface, (this also happens on very warm days as warm water holds less oxygen), I am under the impression that not many people with a planted tank use an air bubbler and they do just fine.

my tanks are completely planted - more like jungles, with a few rocks and logs also . I use an airstone in every tank. I don't use any filtration other than the bio environment I have attained through the planting and frequent water changes (once every two weeks - a thrid of the tank)

The water is crystal clear always, the fish extremely healthy and happy.ONe thing I do do though is turn off the airstones at night with the lights.

In a planted tank you are looking for calmer conditions, as oxygen displaces CO2, in a well airated tank the CO2 will be pushed out into the air.

ONLY if the CO2 is injected.

If its not injected then surface aggitation is needed to pull CO2 (along with O2) from the air above the tank. CO2 is not produced in the aquarium, it is pulled from the environment, much like O2 is.

CO2 doesn't magically appear in the water, it has to get there somehow.

CO2 is in the air we breathe, along with O2, air pumps pump air not oxygen.