which are the best fluro lights?

lorrainel

NOw that i've got my filter issues sorted - moving onto the lights.

I"m planning to buy a reflector hood that fits 2 x 20W fluro lights. i'm wondering which are the best lights to get? everyone has different opinions.

my other jebo tank has 2 x 20W tubes at 10,000K rating. java fern growing great but not much else. my new tank is to be a planted tank - so i want to make sure everything is perfect - should i get a lower K rating, or a higher K rating?

You could try T5 24 watt instead of T8, way higher output :D

Check the length of the bulbs and the ballasts will support the higher power if trying T5's in T8 fittings. The T5's are generall a few mm Shorter and wont fit. You may also fing that the ballasts are only set for 40W max. The extra 8W (2 x 24W - 2 x 20W) is a 20% increase in loading, so may cause issues.

Yea thats wat i mean, with ballast. :D

Yeah the new T5's are also coming out in circular formats. Stacking them 3 high with an offset and mylar reflector would be a good way to get more output as long as the 6500ks become available in nz.

I noted that Hagen are bringing out their new HO T5 Range around xmas and are expected to be 25% of the curring pricing.

I wouldnt try an run a T5 in a T8 fitting, even with all the mods to get it to fit, i am not 100% sure the ballasts will even drive the T5's.

In relation to the colour of tube, 6500k is certainly daylight colour and works really well. But you need to be abit wary of the other number at the beginning of the code. 865 means the lamp is 6500K colour but has a 'quailty' rating of 80+, you can get a 965 which is a better quality light, closer to natural sunlight (90+). I have run various combinations of lights ( all T8's). A 50:50 split between 865 +965 and also 956 +880 ( 8000K) tube produces good results.

Also 865 and 880 are available as a T5.

Hope that helps

Sweet, that sounds good, I def reccomend t5 over t8, but thats just down to personal preference and $ as well i guess.

I saw an arcadia twin t5 retro unit at hollywood, over $300 :o

It will be good when that kind of gear becomes more popular, maybe it might come down in price :lol:

My mate lives in tha phillipines and hes always E-mailing and going on about how cheap fish keeping gear is :roll:

Any ways, T5s if you can afford :D