Pseudotropheus Demasoni Holding

Matt

Hi all,

I have 8 Demasoni in a 450 litre tank with two bristlenose and two of my females have been holding for two weeks today. I was planning on attempting to strip them and place the fry I manage to get in a breeding trap, inside the main tank until I get another tank set up in the weekend.

I thought I better check here first before I do anything wrong. Any one got any suggestions or guidance?

I saw from other posts that a couple of other members also have Demasoni fry. What did you guys do?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Matt

I've had other malawi fry die (think it was the parents messing with the breeding trap) when put into a breeding trap in the adults tank. I'd just leave them to hold untill you have a seperate tank set up. You'll probably fined the fry are more developed and have a better chance of survival if you leave it till this weekend and have a tank for them on there own.

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I will set up another tank and strip the two females this weekend.

My largest male is about 6cm and my smallest is about 4cm, I have had them for about 6 weeks and they were around 3cm when I got them.

Cheers,

Matt

Got a second tank set up for the babies, but .......any tips on how to catch the females without pulling all the rocks out of the tank :o ? I tried for about 10 minutes with two nets but had no luck.

They have been holding for two and a half weeks now, when will they spit on their own accord in the community tank?

Cheers,

Matt

That's the reason I don't have my rocks siliconed together. Every time you want to catch one of them you have to take out everything in the tank. I also use a tank divider like a "cattle gate". That way you might be able to herd the female into a corner of the tank and only have to dismantle that corner.

Good luck.

Mine are breeding. I am lucky that one female spits on her own once she is left in the bucket on her own for a while. The other female sometimes spits, sometimes needs encouragement.

I have noticed that when I leave the females to long, they have spat the fry before 3 weeks is up.

As for placing fry into a breeder net, back into main tank. Cichlid adults will try to get the fry through the net, therefore best to set up another tank.

Just a note, if you want to increase your colony without buying more. I read somewhere that it is possible to have different colony sizes of demasoni together. So I thought why not, I placed in one lot of fry 2cm back in with the colony. The bigger ones ignore the smaller ones. Looks funny to how the smaller ones tussle amongst themselves. It worked for me too.

Frenchy :D