help with pumping water to sump

Anthony

hello

i have a four foot tank with a three foot sump the four foot has no holes in it and i dont really want to get it drilled so what i was thinking is that could i get a pump like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 700007.htm

and just pump water from the main tank into the sump

and get another pump the same one( http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 700007.htm ) to pump the water back from the sump into the main tank?

would this work

cheers

This is not normally a good idea for several reasons.

If the return pump slows over time, which they can do, you could get a flood. The system requires that both pumps push exactly the same amount of water.

A tank should have the "I can sleep easy factor". This setup does not.

Another way to do what you want is to build a weir overflow into the sump. This is a syphon, but it is a design that cannot be broken even if it runs dry, once the main tank is pumped full enough the syphon will start again. I'm sure you will find a design for this on google.

if the person on the end of the drill has experience with drilling glass there is very little chance of any damage, i had no experience with drilling glass, had one practice go that went well, then drilled my tank that i had at the time, all good, since then i have drilled 4 tanks all with no issue. key is to take it slow with very little pressure, and keep the glass cool and clean with running water.

drill it, you will not regret it.

I have one that will cut a 35 ml hole. Slight problem though when I bought it i took it to a engineer to turn the shank down so it would fit in my drill. They did that but it is slightly out of centre, so it wobbles a bit. OK if you go nice and slow, but on glass 10 ml or over it is easy to crack it if you go too quick.

You can borrow it but hang out a bit & see if you can get a different one first.

ive got a 35ml one you can borrow...... its brand new never used & ive got a 8ml one that i was given for free to practice with. just go to a glass place and ask for a couple of scrap bits of glass and do a few practice runs to get use to drilling glass...... your most welcome to borrow them... and if you want to pay the $5 bucks courier fees each way i can loan you a drill as well......