Hot Glue Gun - Ok for Aquariums???

Loopy

See linky if you not sure what i am refering to http://www.trademe.co.nz/Art/Art-supplies/auction-72377213.htm

Is the glue for these things safe in aquariums?

What are the glue sticks even made of?

I wouldn't use them to seal an aquarium but i have used it to stick some little bits of polystyrene (sp?) to a coke bottle to make it float. (note: glue from glue gun gets hot enough to MELT coke bottle. Can result in rather peculiar looking bottles)

• 2 weeks later...

I once tried it glueing pipes into a tank for som axolotls and found that it glued alright to the pipes but didn't stick very well to the glass- i don't know if this was just the type of glue I used. If you go for glass silicone make sure you get the right stuff. many types say that they are good for glass- however if you read the small pint on the back it cannot be used for constant submersion. I use Sealeys Glass silicone and have had no problems. make sure you leave it to cure for 7 days as directed though and to rinse out the tank before you use it. Hope this helps- David

• 3 weeks later...