Crabs

KP

Quite bit of dissagreement about what crabs are bad, because all crabs have to eat something.

However IMO all hairy crabs should be removed. The very light coloured acro crabs seem to be safe, and ones with a straight white line from one eye to the other are safe. The other darker coloured crabs start off safe, but some of them get bigger & more harmful as they grow.

What else could cause recession from the base up?

Tang - all those crabs you describe should be removed. That's just my opinion I know some others have had them with no problems.

Chimera, sorry to hear about the TN I hope you get it sorted. If it may be related to the zeofood might pay to stop dosing it for a time, it is quite powerful. Please get back with the results when you start dosing potassium will be interesting. One thing to watch though, when I started it gave awesome colours, so, like a kid in a lollyshop I got over enthused, overdosed it, and ended up doing harm in the form of colours going drab, and took a long time to come back. Have also read that dosing must be built up slowly, a main sign too much is getting dosed is burning of the acro tips.

Anyhow I've ordered a potassium testing kit from Brendan so once that arrives I'll be happy to test your water if you need that.

Chimera, sorry to hear about the TN I hope you get it sorted. If it may be related to the zeofood might pay to stop dosing it for a time, it is quite powerful. Please get back with the results when you start dosing potassium will be interesting. One thing to watch though, when I started it gave awesome colours, so, like a kid in a lollyshop I got over enthused, overdosed it, and ended up doing harm in the form of colours going drab, and took a long time to come back. Have also read that dosing must be built up slowly, a main sign too much is getting dosed is burning of the acro tips.

Porcelain crabs (acro crabs) are fine, get rid of the rest. A while back, one type of purple tip stag I have began looking strange, and its tips began to look thin and damaged. In fact if you brushed against it the tips would crumble and fall off.

Checked everything, almost decided to remove it, then went over to the tank 1 night and spied a hairy blue eyed crab munching away on it :evil:

Best way to get them is to wait until dark, get a torch and a pair of forceps and grab them. They are surprisingly strong, and this little fella hung on for dear life. Put him in the refugium but when that cracked, he had to go....

I have tried catching mine, pretty quick when they want to be.

My problem is that the acro he is in is stuck down so even harder.

Might try and blasting him off with a stream into a net, sounds intense I know :lol: :lol:

The stream won't work. Tried it. I just stab or crush any suspect crabs with a screwdriver. Then it's feeding time for the trigger. :D

• 2 weeks later...

over the last week i have removed 4 crabs from my display and relocated them to my sump, i noticed the tips of a few of my acros looking damaged, each time i noticed this there was a crab near by so out they came.

are there any crabs that we want to keep in the display for a reason other than looking cool and being interesting creatures?

i have seen at least one more in my display but as yet i have not been able to get him.

dose anyone have a referance site that has pictures of the crabs we dont want as well as those that we do want?

You're a girl?

Good to see another one it has been pretty male orientated around here!

Fresh water seems to be more a female thing, but salt is dominated by males? Don't know why, a nice marine tank is quite attractive i thought ladies would find them attractive also!